14 Days

By | 2012-11-16T08:08:20+00:00 Nov 16th, 2012|

The Story

Two weeks can mean so much or so little depending on the context and circumstance, right? There have been so many times when I’ve wished my life away for two weeks. Oh, if only it were two weeks later so that… I think we’ve all been guilty of this.

But when I think about the two weeks that have just transpired, I am in awe. I can barely remember landing in Phnom Penh or taking that first taxi to the hotel and beginning the first leg of our tour throughout this country. I’ve seen extraordinary people living in rather extraordinary living conditions. I’ve been privileged to walk down halls of ancient temples and see firsthand just how powerful nature really when it is pitted against manmade structures. Two weeks seems like it can be so easily squandered. I’m so thankful that the past two weeks has been such an enriching experience in every single way.

I hope these images that I’ve shared has helped give you a taste of Cambodia and whet your travel bug. I, for one, can’t wait for the next adventure to begin. I’m about to begin my 33 hour trip back to Portland and so I’ll leave you with an image taken at Angkor Wat about 20 minutes after sunrise. As you can see, it pays to get to these temples early. Tourists do love their sleep. :)

This is a seven exposure tone-mapped HDR image using Photomatix Pro. I converted to black and white using Perfect B&W by onOne Software and added a very slight blur, simulating a shallow depth of field, using FocalPoint 2.1.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.3 RC.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”13.412729″ lon=”103.866886″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Aaron Hockley November 16, 2012 at 8:07 am - Reply

Love this photo.  Thanks for sharing your work over the past couple of weeks – always interesting to see things from the other side of the world.

2. Ricardo Williams November 16, 2012 at 8:09 am - Reply

Love this one.

3. Vandita Goyal November 16, 2012 at 8:11 am - Reply

wow

4. Steve Rich November 16, 2012 at 8:32 am - Reply

Thanks Brian for sharing your insight and processing techniques, your images have been a learning experience and vacation for me.

5. Todd Sipes November 16, 2012 at 8:36 am - Reply

Nice shot, +Brian Matiash!

6. Ayesha Amin November 16, 2012 at 10:20 am - Reply

this is really amazing

7. Ray Medina November 16, 2012 at 11:30 am - Reply

That's some serious B&W-gasm!!! Thanks +Brian Matiash and +Nicole S. Young for posting all these images from Cambodia.. Total inspiration and envy :)

8. Brian Bonham November 16, 2012 at 2:52 pm - Reply

Coolish.

9. Scott Horvath November 16, 2012 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Nicely done…nicely done. Love the black and white for this shot…really draws you into the photo and gives it focus.

10. Christopher Germano November 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm - Reply

I love that there is so much detail in this.  It's been great living vicariously through your photos these last two weeks. Safe travels.

11. Boris Manic November 17, 2012 at 5:47 am - Reply

very good!

12. Nate Parker November 17, 2012 at 6:53 am - Reply

awesome! Traveling is the best! coincidentally I flew into Portland the day you flew out and had a week to go up the coast- Love that beautiful country you guys have out there- not so bad to have to come back to :-)

13. Hans Reurings November 17, 2012 at 1:38 pm - Reply

Beautiful DOF and awesome B&W conversion

14. Charles Lacz November 17, 2012 at 2:00 pm - Reply

The blur doesn't add to the image and ruins it for me. I'd love to see more detail going down the hall.

15. Mike Blank November 18, 2012 at 9:22 pm - Reply

Great work +Brian Matiash you're right the time goes by quickly in Cambodia and viewing the temples before the tourists get there is the only way to experience their timeless beauty.

16. Sanne Egger December 2, 2012 at 4:45 am - Reply

for me it looks a bit like the Halls of Moria….