Missing home

By | 2012-10-29T15:36:38+00:00 Oct 25th, 2012|

The story

Today is the first day of the PhotoPlus Expo in my hometown, New York City. Normally, I’d be right there with my +onOne Software colleagues, presenting and greeting people at our booth on the expo floor. I even had my flight booked and everything.

Unfortunately, priorities are priorities and I had to stay back in Oregon to finish recording the rest of the product videos supporting next week’s launch of Perfect Photo Suite 7. Humbug! I love going on the road with my coworkers – they are some of the best and funniest people I know… and the fact that they’re defiling my home without me is a bit of a bummer. This is the longest stretch that I’ve gone without visiting my family.

On the plus side, Suite 7 has turned out freaking awesome!. We had our first release candidate build drop on Sunday and our final RC build drops tonight. Pending any catastrophic, show-stopping bugs, we’re good to launch by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week!

I’ll leave you with this shot taken from one of my last trips to NYC. It’s from the underbelly of Grand Central Terminal. My man, +Chris Robins worked his magic and got a crew of us access down there to shoot. It seems fitting since I feel like I am about to get crushed by a train car any day now. :)

This is a nine exposure tone-mapped HDR image – done in Photomatix Pro.

Stylization was done in Perfect Effects 3. It’s a combo of GrungeBlue Dawn, and a touch of Urban Sickness.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”40.75284″ lon=”-73.97719″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Amy Heiden October 25, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

Sorry you're missing the show.

This looks like a cool place to shoot :-)

2. Jarrod Erbe October 25, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Looking forward to next week's release!  My archive awaits.

3. Michael Murphy October 25, 2012 at 9:58 am - Reply

Looking forward to trying out the new suite – and learning a lot from the videos you've having to stay back and do.  :)

4. Tony Drumm October 25, 2012 at 10:00 am - Reply

Looking forward to the launch. Really want to try the new portrait update.

5. John Manuel October 25, 2012 at 10:03 am - Reply

Awesome photo Brian.  I think Blue Dawn and Urban Sickness are your two favorite effects ;)

6. Mark Wirzburger October 25, 2012 at 10:07 am - Reply

Sounds great +Brian Matiash , especially since I advance-purchased the upgrade last month.  Can't wait!  :-)

7. Jeff Hirsch October 25, 2012 at 10:07 am - Reply

Or maybe you just wanted to stay in Oregon and play BioShock 2 in-between takes. ;)

We're all eagerly looking forward to Suite 7. I saw a demo of the new Black and White plugin at Matt Kloskowski's Lightroom Seminar a few weeks ago. Looks like a winner.

Best of luck on the launch. Can't wait to get my grubby mitts on the latest.

8. Shelly Gunderson October 25, 2012 at 10:13 am - Reply

Very nice image!  Sorry you couldn't go but there's always next time.

9. Brian Bonham October 25, 2012 at 10:20 am - Reply

You know you're glad you didn't go 'cause you'd miss me so much if you did.

10. Brian Matiash October 25, 2012 at 10:24 am - Reply

+Brian Bonham Yeah, good point. Rumor has it you're doing something important tomorrow but knowing you, that rumor is probably way off.

11. Pini Gold October 25, 2012 at 10:27 am - Reply

Interesting

12. Brian Bonham October 25, 2012 at 10:33 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash be careful, rumors are a dangerous thing sometimes.  Better look into some fact checking.

13. Carl Constantine October 25, 2012 at 10:41 am - Reply

That would be an awesome background to use in some compositing work. Nice picture.

14. Ramon Nuez October 25, 2012 at 11:05 am - Reply

Very nice.

15. Chris Robins October 25, 2012 at 11:18 am - Reply

anything for my man +Brian Matiash and the posse.  we need another awesome shoot together.  thx for the shout-out my brother.

16. Daniel Novak October 25, 2012 at 11:21 am - Reply

Very nice!

17. Dave Wilson October 25, 2012 at 11:31 am - Reply

I was thinking about you and your fortunate buddies yesterday morning as I walked around the (public) parts of Grand Central Terminal thinking how amazing a behind-the-scenes tour would be. The experience was doubly annoying knowing that I was leaving the city exactly as PhotoPlus was due to start. Maybe next year….

18. Afsane Bazgir October 25, 2012 at 12:53 pm - Reply

or it is going away? I do not know!

19. Elkyn Orellana October 25, 2012 at 2:55 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash , I was at the Expo today and your crew were hard at work. Got to see the new interface and workflow in person. I must say, I can't wait to download my copy as soon as it is available.

20. Brian Matiash October 25, 2012 at 5:14 pm - Reply

+Elkyn Orellana Sweet! If you head back, be sure to give +Jonny Davenport's beard a solid tug.

21. Elkyn Orellana October 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm - Reply

Haha. I'll keep that in mind.

22. Embry Vincent October 25, 2012 at 8:42 pm - Reply

I love the colors.and composition. Great work.

23. Michel Nadeau October 26, 2012 at 3:48 am - Reply

Great shot and I am looking forward to that email that says You can now download your new Perfect Software Suite

24. Karen Hutton October 26, 2012 at 1:41 pm - Reply

You're just awesome +Brian Matiash. That is all.

25. Mandy Sloan October 26, 2012 at 1:52 pm - Reply

I'm sorry your are missing home.  I don't know how you do it.  I'm very happy 7 is going so well and that you are almost done!  just a little while longer and you can go on a vacation :)