The Giant Wormhole

By |2012-10-29T15:50:04+00:00Oct 22nd, 2012|

The Story

I wanted to share another shot from my recent visit to the Satsop Nuclear Facility. It’s funny because I distinctly remember thinking that the images I got on my first visit there with +Brian Bonham were better but as I let these newer images macerate, they actually started to grow on me. More and more, I find myself importing my new images into Lightroom and then leaving them alone for a week or two. There is definitely something to be said about letting your new images soak for a bit on their own before starting to work on them

This is one of my favorites, actually, because of how the 14mm lens gives you a sense of scale. When I say that this cooling tower is massive, you should immediately realize that these words just don’t do any justice.

All in all, I have so many great memories visiting here with +Nicole S. Young, +Amy Heiden, +Arno Jenkins, +Jeffrey Yen, +Tressa Crozier, +Joe Azure, +Christopher Germano and +Brian Bonham.

This is a nine exposure HDR image tone-mapped in Photomatix Pro.

Stylization was done in Perfect Effects 4 by +onOne Software. I applied some Cyberpunk on the tower itself. The platform was a combo of Vecchio and Thermopylae. Tonal Contrast was masked in to bring out texture.

I added the slightest kiss of FocalPoint 2 here, also by onOne. I wanted to render the opening of the cooling tower stack just slightly out of focus.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.2.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”46.9598″ lon=”-123.4696″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Manuela Azevedo October 22, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

Fantastic!

2. Manuela Azevedo October 22, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

Fantastic!

3. Terra Kinder October 22, 2012 at 8:57 am - Reply

sometimes edits are just not required…love it

4. Terra Kinder October 22, 2012 at 8:57 am - Reply

sometimes edits are just not required…love it

5. Cameron Siguenza October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

Damn – that is good. What a great shot and your usual processing magic takes it out of the proverbial park :)

6. Cameron Siguenza October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

7. holger feroudj October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

Wowsies! Simple and great!

8. holger feroudj October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

Wowsies! Simple and great!

9. Maritza Ivone October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

bien
    Felicidadesssss…..

10. Maritza Ivone October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

bien
    Felicidadesssss…..

11. holger feroudj October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

Couldn't agree more on letting your photos sit a while before working on them, it really does make a difference a lot of times

12. holger feroudj October 22, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

13. Alice Ruth October 22, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

do they drop water droplets from top for cooling?

14. Alice Ruth October 22, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

do they drop water droplets from top for cooling?

15. Tamara Pruessner October 22, 2012 at 9:02 am - Reply

DUDE!!!  That blue just ROCKS in this!  And massive isn't the word for it… (twss).  WOW!

16. Tamara Pruessner October 22, 2012 at 9:02 am - Reply

17. Tressa Crozier October 22, 2012 at 9:03 am - Reply

This turned out so amazing, +Brian Matiash!!!

18. Tressa Crozier October 22, 2012 at 9:03 am - Reply

This turned out so amazing, +Brian Matiash!!!

19. heidi förster October 22, 2012 at 9:14 am - Reply

auf dem Bild kann ich mir vorstellen wie der Raum klingt, gut gelungen

20. heidi förster October 22, 2012 at 9:14 am - Reply

auf dem Bild kann ich mir vorstellen wie der Raum klingt, gut gelungen

21. Klaus Herrmann October 22, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

Straight from some science fiction movie. Cool shot, Brian!

22. Klaus Herrmann October 22, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

Straight from some science fiction movie. Cool shot, Brian!

23. Rachel Tine October 22, 2012 at 9:16 am - Reply

Just love this. So rad!

24. Rachel Tine October 22, 2012 at 9:16 am - Reply

Just love this. So rad!

25. Dave Veffer October 22, 2012 at 9:17 am - Reply

Awesome!  What an appropriate title :)

26. Dave Veffer October 22, 2012 at 9:17 am - Reply

Awesome!  What an appropriate title :)

27. Bo Nielsen October 22, 2012 at 9:20 am - Reply

Fantastic shoot +Brian Matiash really like the icy blue "walls" against the brown bottom.

Got two questions for you.

How did you get in there?

And do you know if this location was use in Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil?

28. Bo Nielsen October 22, 2012 at 9:20 am - Reply

Got two questions for you.

How did you get in there?

And do you know if this location was use in Terry Gilliam's movie Brazil?

29. Christopher Stern October 22, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

I am not able to see the photo.

30. Christopher Stern October 22, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

I am not able to see the photo.

31. Amy Heiden October 22, 2012 at 9:39 am - Reply

Wow, love the 14mm view! Love that it captured the entire opening at the top.

32. Amy Heiden October 22, 2012 at 9:39 am - Reply

Wow, love the 14mm view! Love that it captured the entire opening at the top.

33. Jared Eubank October 22, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Awesome picture, thanks for sharing!

34. Jared Eubank October 22, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Awesome picture, thanks for sharing!

35. Mike Allen October 22, 2012 at 10:03 am - Reply

cool shot

36. Thomas Chamberlin October 22, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

You have to get over the sentimentality, the memory of being there and taking the photograph, so it can speak for itself. For some reason my favorite thing now is to find one I can't even remember taking that is just awesome.

37. Thomas Chamberlin October 22, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

38. Brian Matiash October 22, 2012 at 10:36 am - Reply

Thank you so much, everyone!

+Bo Nielsen Not sure whether it was used for Brazil – would be interesting to look into. As for getting in, you just need to work with the people who work at the Satsop commercial park. With proper notice, access should be relatively easy to get.

39. Brian Matiash October 22, 2012 at 10:36 am - Reply

Thank you so much, everyone!

40. John Getchel October 22, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

Absolutely stunning shot!

41. John Getchel October 22, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

Absolutely stunning shot!

42. Scott Wood October 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm - Reply

I just love the perspectives you get in these shots.  I live just down the road and have stopped by and shot a number of times.  You are correct, access can usually be had fairly easily.  Even without going in, there are still great shots to be had.

43. Scott Wood October 22, 2012 at 12:30 pm - Reply