Lovely Leading Lines

By |2012-10-29T15:51:23+00:00Oct 18th, 2012|

The story

Oh man, I sure do love me some leading lines… especially when they dissolve into the soft focus nothingness of Bokehville. I nabbed this shot a few weeks ago while roaming around the Southeast industrial area of Portland. Rest assured that I certainly do not take having access to these railroad tracks for granted. They offer SO much in terms of technique practice and experimentation.

I think we all have certain areas around where we live that offer up some unique opportunities in terms of growing and learning. Despite shooting these tracks many times already, I always find myself going back to practice something new. The important part is finding these locations near you and determining what they offer in terms of helping you grow your own photography skills.

I stuck with an old favorite here – Blue Dawn Leonidas. I masked that onto the upper third of the frame, wherever the cooler tones appeared. Next, I applied some Return of the King to the remaining portion of the scene. Global additions of Tonal Contrast and Deep Forest Glow are present, too.

I then sent the image to FocalPoint and used three Focus Bugs to render that vanishing point out of focus. Both products are made by +onOne Software.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.2.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”45.51528″ lon=”-122.66482″ marker=”yes” z=”17″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Mark Bridgeman October 18, 2012 at 10:23 am - Reply

that is a genuinely beautiful photograph that's expertly shot and well presented.  Superb work, makes mine look really bad lol!

2. Gina Bégin October 18, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Love the composition and yes, the fading into a soft focus. Well put and well taken. :)

3. sofi adusei October 18, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

work at a routine taking train and managing the railroad system.

4. Doug Dillon October 18, 2012 at 10:41 am - Reply

I like it Brian…..like the color contrast and the focus. Great job!

5. Paola Ocampo October 18, 2012 at 10:42 am - Reply

el camino de la vida sigue, puede que no nos encontremos con lo que esperamos, pero todo tiene un porque.. hay que seguir ese camino, hasta encontrar el destino donde esperabamos llegar.. :)

6. Nicole S. Young October 18, 2012 at 10:44 am - Reply

I want to live in Bokehville! Is it like living in the clouds? Everyone has their own bokeh-dot property or something? :)

7. Darth Moser October 18, 2012 at 10:57 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash nice at least a 6+  ;-)

8. Michael McGimpsey October 18, 2012 at 10:59 am - Reply

Great shot. Google+ only lets you click the + button once otherwise I would have given it multiple +

9. Scott Horvath October 18, 2012 at 11:20 am - Reply

Love the leading lines as well. Nicely captured.

10. Andy Yeomans October 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm - Reply

The lighting from the natural sources are just absolutely stunning in this!!

11. Paul Johnston October 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm - Reply

You should get together with +Karen Hutton .  She likes laying on and playing on railroad tracks too !

12. Karen Hutton October 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm - Reply

How do you REMEMBER that stuff +Paul Johnston?? That was eons ago in G+ years! hahahah!

13. Karen Hutton October 18, 2012 at 10:25 pm - Reply

Awesomeness +Brian Matiash. Leading us… astray?
    Thought so.

14. Brian Matiash October 18, 2012 at 10:35 pm - Reply

+Karen Hutton Yeah yeah yeah, just get on a plane and come visit me again. PDX and I miss you!

15. Karen Hutton October 18, 2012 at 11:13 pm - Reply

It's on the list +Brian Matiash … on. the. list.

16. Joe Dolister October 19, 2012 at 2:38 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash — I can vouch! — Both +Karen Hutton and +Joe Dolister miss you! And PDX!

17. Michael Stuart October 19, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

Awesome shot – I also love the #leadinglines  ;)

18. Lennart Johansson October 22, 2012 at 12:54 am - Reply

Yes, its the trail to possibilities and experiences, Ive got a pleasent feeling from this photo !