Tripod Yoga

By | 2012-10-29T15:52:37+00:00 Oct 17th, 2012|

The Story

That’s what I call it when I flex and contort my precious +Really Right Stuff TVC-24 sticks in order to position my camera in certain ways. While my photography bard was a few stories above me photographing the top of the reactor core, I decided to have some fisheye fun. In order to get the shot that I wanted, I needed to balance my camera in such a way that it was leaning over the set of stairs that I was standing on. Only the fisheye lens could give me the specific look that I was going for and because it has just about a 180-degree field of view, I really had to push my tripod into a pretty precarious position.

Thankfully, I was able to walk away with camera, tripod, and images in hand and unscathed. Just another example of doing what ya gotta do to get the shots that your mind’s eye sees.

Tone-mapping on seven exposures here using Photomatix Pro.

Stylization was a combination of Vecchio masked on the stairs and Cross Process Blue masked on the background. Tonal Contrast was applied globally.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.2.

[map w=”745″ h=”185″ lat=”46.95980″ lon=”-123.46883″ marker=”yes” z=”16″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 940 /]

1. Greg Poulos October 17, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

Great capture. AND a huge PLUS that the camera, tripod and even you survived!

2. Scott Wyden Kivowitz October 17, 2012 at 9:17 am - Reply

This is a cool shot and I can picture you leaning up against your tripod hoping the legs don't snap :-)   I like how you processed this to look like there are gelled strobes on the left and right of the frame.

3. Michel Paulin October 17, 2012 at 9:19 am - Reply

Great capture

4. kimberly pemberton October 17, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

i think that's called tripod contortionist .. not tripod yoga.

5. dave wilson October 17, 2012 at 9:23 am - Reply

Nice mood caught and kept in frame, thanks for the share

6. ?????? ???? October 17, 2012 at 9:27 am - Reply

7. hussin abw wail October 17, 2012 at 9:30 am - Reply

????  Nice

8. Loren West October 17, 2012 at 9:30 am - Reply

9. Brian Matiash October 17, 2012 at 9:34 am - Reply

+kimberly pemberton Yoga. It's yoga. Downward dog 'n shiz.

10. kimberly pemberton October 17, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

downward pod

11. Kelly Collins October 17, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

great capture!

12. hayder faris October 17, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

Beautiful coloring

13. Chris Newham October 17, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

Awesome shot and as usual top notch post production that really suits the subject.
    Btw any specific date yet for suite 7 realease? I preordered on first day and following your prefect inspiration & other demos im itching to get my hands on it. :-)

14. Brian Matiash October 17, 2012 at 10:10 am - Reply

+Chris Newham Thank you so much. We're expecting to ship on 10/30! :)

And let me tell you – Suite 7 is rocking the house. Granted, I'm biased, but I've been using every new build that our engineers release to us and the performance/quality makes me SO happy. You're going to love it.

15. Chris Newham October 17, 2012 at 10:12 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash hell yeah, cant wait its marked on my calendar.

16. Brandon Keeling October 17, 2012 at 10:53 am - Reply

Very nice

17. Sandra Parlow October 17, 2012 at 11:01 am - Reply

Very cool Brian! I love this!

18. ??????? ?????? October 17, 2012 at 11:27 am - Reply

i ca name it  …( the continual depression)
    but i like it … ((" she" look like our life with all of its actuality))

19. Brian Bonham October 17, 2012 at 11:31 am - Reply

Love the color treatment you gave this.

20. Sandra Parlow October 17, 2012 at 11:46 am - Reply

Brian, will you have a tutorial on how you edited this one?

21. Orion Erickson October 17, 2012 at 12:21 pm - Reply

22. Keith Bradshaw October 17, 2012 at 12:55 pm - Reply

Love the composition and the post processing.  Thanks for the inspiration series from OnOne.  Look forward to it every week.

Have one question.  I believe you are a Canon shooter.  Do you use Magic Lantern or Promote Control to get your 7 – 9 exposures?

23. Brian Matiash October 17, 2012 at 12:58 pm - Reply

Thank you, +Keith Bradshaw. Actually, I use neither. I shoot with a 5D Mark III, which allows me to obtain seven brackets in camera.

24. Keith Bradshaw October 17, 2012 at 1:03 pm - Reply

Thanks for the clarification.  I was lead to believe that the Mk III only allowed 3.  Must save my $$ and replace my 7D….

25. Len Deiter October 17, 2012 at 4:45 pm - Reply

Nice work!!!

26. Bob Lussier October 17, 2012 at 5:17 pm - Reply

This gets the Stair Whisperer Seal of Approval.