On Being Ok With Those ‘Meh’ Circumstances

By |2012-09-20T19:32:41+00:00Sep 19th, 2012|

This is the iconic Tunnel View in Yosemite National Park. I have four different variations of this scene. Most of the deltas revolve around the sky. You see, when I was there a few months ago, I went several days without seeing a single cloud in the sky. I think photographers are some of the only people in the world who actually want clouds in the sky. Something about that flat, boring blue sky just sucks the interest out of an image. And so I toyed with masking in different skies and applying various motion and color filters to them. But nothing seemed to work. There was something about it that didn’t allow suspension of disbelief to set it.

And so, I went back to square one. I took the original image and worked on it, telling myself that it’s ok to have a boring blue sky. Instead, I focused on bringing out the beauty and grandeur of El Cap and the surrounding area. Ultimately, I ended up creating an image that I’m truly happy with. It’s a scene that has been shot and shared a million times, but not by me. And, in the end, that’s what should really matter to the photographer.

Google Maps Location Info
37.7180, -119.7032

I applied a combination of the Magic Forest, Green Enhancer, and Deep Forest effects, along with using the More Detail paint-in effects brush found in Perfect Effects 4, part of Perfect Photo Suite 7 by +onOne Software.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.1.

In album Landscape and Nature (1 photo)

1. ferenc sáfrány September 19, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

beautiful

2. Maria Belen Carreras September 19, 2012 at 11:01 am - Reply

Muy foto hermoso lugar

3. Jason Odell September 19, 2012 at 11:04 am - Reply

We not only want clouds, but we want the right clouds.

4. Maria Belen Carreras September 19, 2012 at 11:06 am - Reply

y es tan misterioso y también interesante hermoso

5. Emily Santome September 19, 2012 at 11:07 am - Reply

Was there in July & Aug! Such an amazing place. All the towns leading up too the main gate (Fresno side) are full of picture perfect "stuff" too! Did you do any hiking or just picture taking +Brian Matiash?

6. John Frierson September 19, 2012 at 11:13 am - Reply

Earlier this year I visited the same viewpoint on a clear, cloudless day. There was a line of photographers with tripods who had staked out all the prime real estate along the whole wall a couple of hours before sunset. When it became apparent there would be no clouds, many people started backing up early to leave allowing me to move into better vantage points.

As people left, I heard lots of unhappy comments such as "hardly worth the 3-hour drive to come here and not get a single shot."   For me, having traveled half-way across the country to this place, I couldn't imagine coming to such a incredible vantage point and not at least trying to take some great pictures.

7. William Bowman September 19, 2012 at 11:33 am - Reply

My favorite spot on earth. When I first visited and came to the same vantage point, my jaw dropped and I didn't ever want to leave

8. Chris Smith September 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm - Reply

This is a great image and the negative space in the sky directs the eye to the main actor of the scene rather than distract. Sure, an interesting sky can enhance an image, it is possible that a sky can be too spectacular and draw the viewers eye away from the main actor.

9. Chris Smith September 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm - Reply

Oh and BTW, I'm looking forward to PPS 7! I envy you that you get to play with it before us serfs. :-)

10. joel cleare September 19, 2012 at 12:51 pm - Reply

Didn't notice the lack ok clouds until you pointed it out. A side note : i have friends sending me photos to see if I can 'fix' them with my post software. I just use perfect effects and LR4. Can't wait to get the full suite next month.

11. Jennifer Arguello Guevara September 19, 2012 at 1:07 pm - Reply

Lindo landscape..!!

12. Harshita Naithani September 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm - Reply

amazing………….

13. Carmen Ninón Vlassoff September 19, 2012 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Beautiful!

14. James T. Randall September 19, 2012 at 4:37 pm - Reply

Good choice. The subtle variation of light haze to pure blue sky is an enhancement to this shot as it compliments the white marbling streaks in the native rock. It also adds some extended perspective to the far off peak in the background. This is not the way it usually interferes with imaging the snow capped Rockies. I like the definition that the effects you chose bring out in the rock face grains.

15. Sadie Shenk September 19, 2012 at 4:48 pm - Reply

Wow.

16. Charles Payne September 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm - Reply

Blue can be boring, but these rocks need no props!

17. Furkan khan September 23, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

Good

18. Furkan khan September 23, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

Good