On Remembering In Our Own Ways

By |2012-09-11T10:15:42+00:00Sep 11th, 2012|

In an odd way, I chuckle at the fact that this is the only image I have of the twin towers, both of which have since fallen on this day 11 years ago. To me, they were never the World Trade Center. They were simply the twin towers. It’s just how we knew them to be.

I took it with the very first digital camera that I owned, the Fuji MX-1700. It sported a whopping 1.5 megapixel sensor. But you know what? It did the job in helping me preserve the one and only visual keepsake that I’ll ever have of them.

You see, I have no good reason for never having photographed these buildings other than I simply took them for granted. I think this is something that rings far too clearly for a lot of us. Growing up in Brooklyn, I could see these two buildings looming in the distance from the porch of my house. I saw them every single day and always thought, ” man, those are two ugly buildings. ” I have no doubt that I wasn’t the only one who thought that at the time. Probably right up until two airplanes collided into them.

I have a very strict and straightforward policy of never opining about politics or religion in any of my social media channels. It’s not that I don’t have my views or opinions. It’s just that I don’t think any of us need yet another log being tossed into the smoldering flames. This isn’t just a sad day for America – it scarred this planet in every single way. And it continues to be scarred.

But, it also continues to be healed. Every. Single. Day. There is no utopia just like there is no dystopia. There is simply this world that we have. It is good and bad. It is both fantastical at times and unbearable at times. But, it is ours and we should never choose to take it for granted.

And so today I turn my thoughts to everyone who is here now, who was here and who will be here. This is, and will always be, a milestone day for all of us. And like all milestones, it’s up to the individual to decide how meaningful it is.

In album Urbanity and Architecture (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 4 times

1. Ron Clifford September 11, 2012 at 8:40 am - Reply

indeed

2. Ron Clifford September 11, 2012 at 8:40 am - Reply

indeed

3. Jeremy Reger September 11, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

4. Jeremy Reger September 11, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

5. Richard Hay September 11, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

In 1996 I went to the top of the WTC with my brother who was attending the west point prep school at Fort Monmouth NJ.

We surveyed New York and watched helicopters fly below us.

Now on September 11, that is the day I remember.

6. Richard Hay September 11, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

We surveyed New York and watched helicopters fly below us.

Now on September 11, that is the day I remember.

7. Sandra Parlow September 11, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

This is the best post I've seen today, Brian. Thank you for this.

8. Sandra Parlow September 11, 2012 at 8:44 am - Reply

This is the best post I've seen today, Brian. Thank you for this.

9. Rob Dweck September 11, 2012 at 8:46 am - Reply

Well said, +Brian Matiash.

10. Rob Dweck September 11, 2012 at 8:46 am - Reply

Well said, +Brian Matiash.

11. Ector Emplas September 11, 2012 at 8:47 am - Reply

wow just Amazing!!!!!

16. olayiwola yinkadinho September 11, 2012 at 9:02 am - Reply

whao is so big

17. olayiwola yinkadinho September 11, 2012 at 9:02 am - Reply

whao is so big

18. onnie hull September 11, 2012 at 9:04 am - Reply

through tears i say thank you for posting "our" towers … (i'm a born and bred, diehard new yorker)

19. onnie hull September 11, 2012 at 9:04 am - Reply

20. Julie Chadwell September 11, 2012 at 9:05 am - Reply

lovely post and so true. The past is gone, but do not forget … The future is not yet here, but always keep hope in your heart, and the present is all we truly have that is real.

21. Julie Chadwell September 11, 2012 at 9:05 am - Reply

22. Jerry Denham September 11, 2012 at 9:07 am - Reply

Excellent post Brian.

23. Jerry Denham September 11, 2012 at 9:07 am - Reply

Excellent post Brian.

24. Maria Alexandra Ciribel September 11, 2012 at 9:10 am - Reply

i like

25. Maria Alexandra Ciribel September 11, 2012 at 9:10 am - Reply

i like

26. Brian Bonham September 11, 2012 at 9:16 am - Reply

Well said +Brian Matiash.

27. Brian Bonham September 11, 2012 at 9:16 am - Reply

Well said +Brian Matiash.

28. Antonio Torrado September 11, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

Estas dos torres eran patrimonio de la humanidad, yo las sentía asi.

29. Antonio Torrado September 11, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

Estas dos torres eran patrimonio de la humanidad, yo las sentía asi.

30. Jessica Hendelman September 11, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash, I agree. Being from Brooklyn, the twin towers were something that has always been there. Part of the skyline I saw day in and day out. Today, looking at the city, it will never be the same. I have no photos of them. Even going through some of my old negatives, I too had no reason to photograph them…

31. Jessica Hendelman September 11, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

32. Shubh Jha September 11, 2012 at 9:53 am - Reply

gr8 buildinng

33. Shubh Jha September 11, 2012 at 9:53 am - Reply

gr8 buildinng

34. LaDonna Pride September 11, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

very well said!

35. LaDonna Pride September 11, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

very well said!

36. David Marx September 11, 2012 at 10:11 am - Reply

Well said and thank you for expressing something that a lot of us feel. Who knew that these gray glass and steel towers, and there sudden disappearance, would play such a defining role in our lives?  Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your image with us.

37. David Marx September 11, 2012 at 10:11 am - Reply

38. Amanda Wyckoff September 11, 2012 at 10:42 am - Reply

Beautifully written!! It gave me chills.  Thank you for writing this and for sharing your picture.

39. Amanda Wyckoff September 11, 2012 at 10:42 am - Reply

40. Décio Telo September 11, 2012 at 11:18 am - Reply

Really touched me a lot: "There is no utopia just like there is no dystopia. There is simply this world that we have. It is good and bad. It is both fantastical at times and unbearable at times. But, it is ours and we should never choose to take it for granted."

41. Décio Telo September 11, 2012 at 11:18 am - Reply

42. Kerry Murphy September 11, 2012 at 11:33 am - Reply

Beautiful.

43. Kerry Murphy September 11, 2012 at 11:33 am - Reply

Beautiful.

44. Greg Poulos September 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash this hits home.
    I have just scheduled a shooting day in Boston (about 5 miles away).
    I want to make sure I "see" my town, instead of just walking around, without really seeing.

45. Greg Poulos September 11, 2012 at 12:08 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash this hits home.
    I have just scheduled a shooting day in Boston (about 5 miles away).

46. Jonathan Velasquez September 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm - Reply

thanks for sharing this part of your once overlooked daily life +Brian Matiash

47. Jonathan Velasquez September 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm - Reply

thanks for sharing this part of your once overlooked daily life +Brian Matiash

48. David R Robinson September 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm - Reply

Great perspective +Brian Matiash. I have often thought that of few times I went to NYC before that day, I don't have any photos of the twin towers. At the time I thought the same thing, they were kind of bland buildings, so I can definitely relate.  Great post.

49. David R Robinson September 11, 2012 at 12:40 pm - Reply

50. Matt Austin September 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

Very well said, +Brian Matiash. Unfortunately for me, I fear the two or three photos I had of them, taken on film during a vacation the December before, are lost and gone forever, but I will never forget standing on top of the South Tower and looking out over the city. So very glad that we decided to go up to the top there instead of the Empire State Building.

51. Matt Austin September 11, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

52. Joe Dolister September 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm - Reply

Makes me gasp!

53. Joe Dolister September 11, 2012 at 2:03 pm - Reply

Makes me gasp!

54. Vex Dex September 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm - Reply

History, unfortunately …

55. Vex Dex September 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm - Reply

History, unfortunately …

56. Eric James Leffler September 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Beautiful post man…thanks for sharing.

57. Eric James Leffler September 11, 2012 at 3:55 pm - Reply

Beautiful post man…thanks for sharing.

58. Laurent Coppée September 11, 2012 at 11:50 pm - Reply

Brilliant post Brian!

59. Laurent Coppée September 11, 2012 at 11:50 pm - Reply

Brilliant post Brian!

60. Jan Gangwer September 12, 2012 at 6:53 am - Reply

Powerful words. Thank you.

61. Jan Gangwer September 12, 2012 at 6:53 am - Reply

Powerful words. Thank you.

62. eva blum September 13, 2012 at 9:21 am - Reply

I remember when the landfill was being done for the Twin Towers and growing up in Manhattan would ride my bike to it and when they had the fireworks it was a great vantage point.Now look at all the land and the new tower going up so fast it just shows what a state of renewal that area has gone thru. Nice picture thank you.

63. eva blum September 13, 2012 at 9:21 am - Reply

64. Robert Redl September 16, 2012 at 10:26 am - Reply

"There is simply this world that we have. It is good and bad. It is both fantastical at times and unbearable at times. But, it is ours and we should never choose to take it for granted."
    a great quote sir