On Escaping The Grips of Boredom

By |2012-09-10T14:17:58+00:00Aug 31st, 2012|

See more about this image on this week’s episode of +onOne Software‘s Perfect Inspiration – http://www.ononesoftware.com/inspiration/episode23/

I have an infinitely narrow attention span.

There it is. My secret is out there. I just don’t do well with sitting in place for hours on end. Whether it’s watching TV, going to a baseball game, or in this case sitting at a NASCAR event, I begin losing focus and fidgeting within the first hour. It’s a problem that I’ve been trying to work on for a long time now because it even creeps up in long meetings at work. For some reason, though, I can process an image for hours without batting an eye… but that’s a topic to discuss in therapy. :)

Still, I was very appreciative to have the opportunity to attend a recent local NASCAR event thanks to my good friend, +Brian Bonham. His idea was to kick back, sit on some bleachers, and watch cars zoom by. I began worrying as soon as we parked our car. I knew that, despite being in great company, it would be a very long afternoon. And for the most part, it was. Shortly after the race began, I dove into that glassed-over trance. It’s an awful place to be whenever you’re trying to be creative and it’s really important to know how to get yourself out of it.

In this case, my muse appeared only when I started to fidget. I was sitting there, tripod and camera set up, when I started swinging the ballhead left and right. It was purely out of boredom. I’m not sure why it took me so long to see this but I noticed how my camera was swinging from left to right along with the racing cars that zipped by. It was at that moment that my muse smacked me in my face. I should be practicing my panning techniques!

The rest was history. I began experimenting and testing differente exposure settings, all with the goal of getting a great pan. I was totally back in the game! Ultimately, I walked away with some real keepers and it is all due to trying to find a way to get a grip on my boredom. It’s something that I strongly recommend you keep in the forefront of your mind when you fall into a similar pit.

Google Maps Location Info
45.59989, -122.700403

You can watch my workflow video that shows every step taken to stylize this image on this week’s episode of Perfect Inspiration – http://www.ononesoftware.com/inspiration/episode23/

In album Urbanity and Architecture (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Brian Bonham August 31, 2012 at 9:30 am - Reply

You were bored?  I thought you were in the zone.  The DangerZone!

Really cool shot btw.

2. Christopher Johnston August 31, 2012 at 9:32 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I have the same problem. It made wildlife photography extremely difficult.

3. Kimberly Chambers August 31, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

dude its fucking nascar

4. Mike Dooley August 31, 2012 at 10:19 am - Reply

great shot, I love the blur of the stands, really makes that car appear to be moving!

5. Howard Jackman August 31, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I love how this is a wide shot (not sure if that was due to lens limits or creative choice) but it works regardless, we're told so much to "Fill The Frame" that we sometimes forget to get the empty space shot (not that this is very empty as the open areas are filled with light and texture) this creatively shows what it's like to be in the stands at one of these races and I'm glad your muse decided to show up!

6. Liberty Dogood August 31, 2012 at 11:43 am - Reply

Great shot! Love the story behind it as well.

7. joel cleare August 31, 2012 at 12:23 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing Brian. Good tips why you chose particular filters.

8. Henry Moilanen August 31, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash Great pan! I can feel the speed!

9. Kelly Morgan August 31, 2012 at 2:07 pm - Reply

That was perfect inspiration. Great shot and episode…and quite helpful. Thank you.

10. Brad Sloan August 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Sweet pan

11. Keith Bradshaw August 31, 2012 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Great shot!  Love the weekly episodes.

12. Hussein Hatami September 1, 2012 at 3:47 am - Reply

NICE PIC

13. Jan Krumnack September 1, 2012 at 7:45 am - Reply

FAST!

14. Alan Norsworthy September 1, 2012 at 9:51 am - Reply

Brian, I learn so much every single week.
    Not only do your tutorials help me with Perfect Effects 3 but it filters over into other edits I make.
    I just wanted to say "thank you" !

15. Joanne Berry September 1, 2012 at 3:03 pm - Reply

Great descriptors — "urbanity and architecture"

16. Scott Davenport September 1, 2012 at 8:02 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash, thanks for an awesome series. In addition to turning me on to the Perfect suite, I love that you aren't shy about discussing the other tools you employ. Echoing, +Alan Norsworthy – Thank You!

17. Brian Matiash September 1, 2012 at 9:16 pm - Reply

+Scott Davenport It's my utmost pleasure – thank YOU for taking the time to write such nice words!

18. Anirudha Saxena September 2, 2012 at 3:17 am - Reply

nice effects

19. Christopher Harnish September 3, 2012 at 8:09 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash It looks like you took this image a bit further than shown in the Perfect Inspiration video. I like the blue in the final a lot better as well as losing the red patch behind the car. I would have been interested in that part of the process as well. I love this series of tutorials. I learn something new each and every time.

20. Alfredo Mora September 6, 2012 at 7:58 pm - Reply

Love the Inspiration series too Brian.  Awesome work on them!