On Being Influenced By Cinema

By | 2012-08-17T10:42:23+00:00 Aug 17th, 2012|

Is it me, or does this bus look like it should be a character in the next Cars series? I’m not the biggest movie buff out there but if there is one thing I love about seeing certain flicks, it’s how the cinematography has an influence on my stylization. Whether it’s subliminal or in your face, a lot of movies that I watch tend to have some sort of visual editing that plays into my own sensibilities.

The key is to truly be able to tap into that. I always try to keep that in the forefront of my mind as soon as I detect certain visually pleasing elements in a movie, TV show, or commercial. It’s not enough to know that you’re piqued by something you just saw – you need to be able to audit that. Ask yourself Why do I find this visually pleasing? It’s in that very answer that you’ll begin to expand on how you stylize your own images.

Google Maps Location Info
39.1560, -122.1476

I started off by tone-mapping seven exposures to create this #HDR  image.

Next, I sent it to Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software. I applied the Havana effect to the sky to give it that bright blue look. I also applied Just Enough Darkness, Return of the King, Tonal Contrast, and Deep Forest Glow to the bus.

I applied a small amount of blur in FocalPoint 2 in order to help separate the bus from the background (you can see it to the right of the bus).

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.1.

In album UrbEx and RuralEx (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Mary Broussard August 17, 2012 at 8:20 am - Reply

Very good!

2. Colleen Rose August 17, 2012 at 8:20 am - Reply

it does look like it belongs in Cars ! Awesome shot +Brian Matiash :)

3. Stuart Dyckhoff August 17, 2012 at 8:23 am - Reply

Nice shot and some excellent use of some post processing software whose name escapes me right now ;)

4. Elizabeth Lund August 17, 2012 at 8:24 am - Reply

I think this bus could be the next star of Cars +Brian Matiash !

5. Brian Matiash August 17, 2012 at 8:26 am - Reply

+Colleen Rose +Elizabeth Lund I wonder what its name should be. :)

6. Shelly Gunderson August 17, 2012 at 8:26 am - Reply

Looks perfect for cars!  Neat shot

7. Nakami lynn August 17, 2012 at 8:27 am - Reply

Is this a bus really???????????????

8. Colleen Rose August 17, 2012 at 8:27 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash hmm.. good question. i have no clue :) What kind of bus is it?

9. Mark Stagi August 17, 2012 at 8:30 am - Reply

That is awesome!

10. Stanley Harper August 17, 2012 at 8:34 am - Reply

Yes, the bus looks like a character from "Cars".  As for the rest of your topic, the "look" of movies definitely influences some photographers.  There's a fairly large thread on POTN about processing images with "cinematic hues" and I've even fallen victim to it myself a time or two.  I have a short series of images I took several months ago that I processed in such a way that made me think I was looking at a scene from a John Ford western.  Excellent post!

11. Jason Rykiss August 17, 2012 at 8:35 am - Reply

As a parent of a 3 year old that has watched Cars 1 & 2 a trillion times, this totally looks like a vehicle that could be in the movie!  S/he could be friends with the hippie VW Bus.

12. Marcel Postert August 17, 2012 at 8:36 am - Reply

Bus seem from Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool Acid Test, to be, journey of Ken Kesey with the Pranksters

13. Elizabeth Lund August 17, 2012 at 8:36 am - Reply

I think he need a really strong and gruff name like Mac, Buster or Bruno!

14. Colleen Rose August 17, 2012 at 8:37 am - Reply

i'm with +Elizabeth Lund :)

15. Eric Leslie August 17, 2012 at 8:49 am - Reply

I like where your head is at!

16. Ayush Agarwal August 17, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

Nice shot

17. William Johnston August 17, 2012 at 9:09 am - Reply

Yes it does

18. Marcel Postert August 17, 2012 at 9:11 am - Reply

The right music for the bus, must be, The Greatful Dead

19. Socal Preferredbuilders August 17, 2012 at 9:15 am - Reply

i wonder how you did this? hand drawn? software that was used? looks amazing

20. Geoff Dobbs August 17, 2012 at 9:37 am - Reply

Wonderful shot

21. MaryBeth Farrell August 17, 2012 at 9:49 am - Reply

You found Brenda! the , Brave Birmingham Bus
    Brenda carried some of the most exceptional fighters ever in history of the United States
    Brenda Believed in her Passengers
    Brenda Believed that all people are created equal
    Because of this Brenda would be Brave in ways she never dreamed possible

Adore her +Brian Matiash

22. Bijita Parial August 17, 2012 at 12:02 pm - Reply

nice editing !!

23. Marsha Leigh August 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm - Reply

There are so many cool things about your images – love this one.
    By the way I have been playing with Perfect Effects last couple days and I'm so impressed. I keep finding new ways to tweek images. For some reason I have you in about 4 circles and didn't realize you worked for OnOne. This is very cool – I learn a lot from your posts.

24. Mark Graves August 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm - Reply

Amazing perspective.  Beautiful wide-angle shot!

25. Toni Vaughan August 19, 2012 at 10:01 am - Reply

Brian- great capture and stylization… That bus certainly has a lot of character!

26. Gary August 25, 2012 at 10:57 am - Reply

Awesome and very moving picture Brian.