On Using Repeating Patterns As Negative Space

By | 2012-08-06T10:09:04+00:00 Aug 6th, 2012|

I remember initially walking right by this facade during a photowalk in Portsmouth, NH. Normally, a repeating pattern like this one could be seen as a distraction of sorts because of how much attention it grabs from the viewer. However, when incorporating an dominant anchor, like these two dark windows, the patterns instantly add some really pleasing negative space and contribute to drawing the eye straight to those windows. It also helps that the windows are so much darker than the rest of the frame, but you get the idea. ;)

Google Maps Location Info
43.07550, -70.75311

Pretty straightforward here. I converted to B&W using a custom built effect in Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software and then applied some contrast and clarity in Lightroom 4.1.

See – pretty straightforward. :)

In album B&W and Monochromatic (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 2 times

1. Paul Balchin August 6, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

Very straightforward. Thanks :)

2. Russell Wiegand August 6, 2012 at 9:42 am - Reply

Great composition. Based on the coordinates, I walked right past this building without a second look. Next time I visit the seacoast, I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

3. Vincent Johnson August 6, 2012 at 10:07 am - Reply

Was just in Portsmouth, 2 weeks ago. was passing through and ate at the Brewery. Wish I had more time to visit. Looks like a great town.

4. Cynthia Manzano August 6, 2012 at 10:14 am - Reply

This is some interesting composition! love using negative spaces.

5. Rob Sylvan August 6, 2012 at 10:58 am - Reply

Dude, I hope you weren't just in town and I missed you!

6. Magnus Fohlman August 6, 2012 at 11:11 am - Reply

It's a nice shot, but a bit psycadelic for my eyes, that just can't handle high contrasting stripes. But had I been able to look at it for longer than a second I might have enjoyed it better.
    Thanks for the theoretical part though :).

7. Brian Matiash August 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm - Reply

+Rob Sylvan Nah, this was from a while back when I was still living in NE. :) I'd definitely let you know if I was back in town.

8. Courtney Courtneymckinley August 6, 2012 at 12:13 pm - Reply

You is mad today

9. Rick Diffley August 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Well done!

10. Brian Matiash August 6, 2012 at 12:48 pm - Reply

+Courtney Courtneymckinley I is mad everyday.

11. Chris Lazzery August 6, 2012 at 5:18 pm - Reply

Nice dude. Terrific choice for a b/w.

12. Matthew Davies August 7, 2012 at 7:45 pm - Reply

Thanks for sharing. A great illustration if pattern as well.

13. Toni Vaughan August 9, 2012 at 7:28 am - Reply

Brian- love the composition, the simplicity along with the repeating pattern works perfectly together!

14. zmxbvpshbophpmetdbn, Massachusetts group insurance commission, hZwzQBD.