On Hyperbolic Presentation

By |2012-08-06T10:11:28+00:00Aug 2nd, 2012|

Grand Central Terminal in NYC is a veritable smorgasbord for photographers, offering up a large variety of target-rich things to shoot. Thousands upon thousands of people stroll through the main station hall every hour, so there’s tons for street and portrait photographers. And let’s not forget the architecture. It is simply breathtaking and I made sure to make the most of it during a shoot I took part of in 2010.

I approached this shot in a way that would really convey the grandioseness of this location. Grand Central Terminal really is a big place and I felt that the Canon 15mm fisheye lens would give me the right type and amount of radial distortion to convey that. You may notice that the horizon looks slightly crooked – I remember trying to fine-tune the camera for about 15 minutes to get everything straight but could never find that perfect spot – and when I saw that I had a small window of time when no one was walking through, I settled for the best camera angle I could find and rifled off my brackets. :)

Quick tip – If you’re interested in shooting in this location with a tripod, be sure to visit the Stationmaster’s office with plenty of time in advance. You can obtain a free permit, allowing you to use your tripod. :)

Google Maps Location Info
40.752831, -73.977237

I do know that this is a nine exposure tone-mapped #HDR  image, processed in Photomatix and PhotoTools 2.6 by +onOne Software. Unfortunately, I don’t remember the specific effects that I applied. :(

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 5 times

1. Rick Bucich August 2, 2012 at 8:38 am - Reply

A great place to photograph! …just get permission first to use a tripod, I found out the hard way

2. Mandy Sloan August 2, 2012 at 8:38 am - Reply

Great shot! And a great tip. Thanks +Brian Matiash

3. Yoojin Jeon August 2, 2012 at 8:47 am - Reply

In a word, nice!

4. Darlene Hildebrandt August 2, 2012 at 8:54 am - Reply

I didn't know about the permit thing and a security guy came and asked me if I had one. I said no but asked where to get it. He told me but I assumed it would take days and cost money. So after he left around the corner I just went back and finished my shot lol.

5. Darlene Hildebrandt August 2, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

Why 9 images +Brian Matiash? Bracketed how far in between?

6. MOE KHAING August 2, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

Great shot

7. Cynthia Pyun August 2, 2012 at 9:20 am - Reply

Rich color and great depth in the lines of the walls. You did this beauty proud, +Brian Matiash :)

8. Dave Wilson August 2, 2012 at 9:22 am - Reply

I didn't have a fisheye last time I visited GCT but I certainly know what to do with it when I'm back there in October. Excellent viewpoint and excellent use of the lens distortion, my friend!

9. Robin Griggs Wood August 2, 2012 at 9:28 am - Reply

Brilliant, Brian!
    (I know that's inane when a +1 will do, but sometimes ya just gotta gush!! ;o))

10. Brian Matiash August 2, 2012 at 10:14 am - Reply

+Darlene Hildebrandt I usually grab between 7 and 9 brackets at 1-stop increments to ensure that my exposures cover the full tonal range of the scene. Before tone-mapping, I review those brackets and toss out any that don't have meaningful exposure information.

Thank you, everyone!

11. Darlene Hildebrandt August 2, 2012 at 4:08 pm - Reply

Hmm. Okay so why one stop apart? I've done experimenting and research on one vs two and curious to hear why you choose one? I choose two btw. I also use the histogram to make sure I have enough at both ends.

12. Dave Wilson August 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm - Reply

I'm with Brian on 1 stop brackets. I find I end up with a lot less noise in my images if I start with 1 stop brackets rather than 2 stops.

13. Sergey Bidun August 2, 2012 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Amazing architecture!

14. Darlene Hildebrandt August 2, 2012 at 7:54 pm - Reply

+Dave Wilson  interesting.  Do you shoot at the lowest ISO you can?  I find that when I shoot at ISO 100, and 2 stops apart it isn't an issue.  The research I found said that a raw file carries data 2 stops either side of the exposure so if you shoot 1 stop apart you're getting a lot of overlap information.  I found I agreed with that and using 1 stop just made for heaps bigger file sizes.

15. Brad InWashingtonState August 3, 2012 at 10:56 pm - Reply

that reminds me, I need to add a good ultra wide of fish eye to me kit now that I have bag room

16. Dave Wilson August 4, 2012 at 8:17 am - Reply

+Darlene Hildebrandt I usually shoot at the native ISO setting for my cameras (200) but will bump this up if absolutely necessary (when I'm too impatient to handle a 2 minute exposure :-) ). 2 stop brackets would seem fine but I notice distinctly better shadow noise performance with 1 stop increments. The best thing I can suggest is give it a try and see how it works for you.

17. Chris Robins August 8, 2012 at 1:21 pm - Reply

loved the day with you in nyc, and all my matiash time. awesome image kid, let me know when you are rolling through. bealy & i want to set up a fall shoot with the crew. peace. RIGHT!!!!!!