On The Straightforward Shot

By |2012-07-23T10:17:55+00:00Jul 23rd, 2012|

…and sometimes, all you want to do is take a full profile shot of a beautiful scene. Just set the tripod down, point straight, and fire. +Brian Bonham and I reached Fall Creek Falls mid-day, when the light was just oh-so-awful. Heavy shadows and heavier hot spots from the sun made it very difficult to find effective compositions that wouldn’t require hours of masking. However, there was a small window of time when the sun was slightly covered in clouds and I pounced on the opportunity to grab a full profile shot of these picturesque falls.

And so, without much more filibustering, here is Fall Creek Falls. :)

This is a three exposure blend that I masked together in Perfect Layers 2 by +onOne Software. One exposure metered for the falls at the very top (in the background), the second metered for the main falls and the third metered for the darker foliage.

I applied some Green Enhancer and Tonal Contrast to the rocks, along with some Rich Glow. All done in Perfect Effects 3, by onOne.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.1.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 4 times

1. Jessica Hendelman July 23, 2012 at 9:55 am - Reply

Beautiful shot +Brian Matiash. I just love the cascading water to the right of the main fall.

2. Amy Heiden July 23, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

This is gorgeous.

3. Josain Zsun July 23, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

For this desert rat, that is a beautifully mystical picture.

4. Neide Sosa July 23, 2012 at 10:13 am - Reply

hermoso paisaje..

5. Shelly Gunderson July 23, 2012 at 10:21 am - Reply

Very gorgeous!  Thanks as always for telling how it was done!

6. Reuben Cohn July 23, 2012 at 10:27 am - Reply

Brian, you say you combined three images exposed for different parts of the scene. Is that your typical approach for HDR in general, or just for scenes with tricky lighting conditions such as this one?

Great shot btw!

7. Md.Farid Hossain July 23, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

Nice

8. Brian Matiash July 23, 2012 at 10:37 am - Reply

+Reuben Cohn A very, very good question. The decision as to whether I tone-map or simply mask exposures together varies from shot to shot. The factors usually boil down to the scene itself and how much tonal range the scene covers. For nature scenes, I usually shy away from tone-mapping because I don't like the effect that it has. Also, nature scenes are prone to having tons of moving elements (like water, grass, leaves, and branches) and that is very tricky to mitigate with tone-mapping.

Ultimately, it really is a case-by-case decision.

9. Reuben Cohn July 23, 2012 at 10:38 am - Reply

Thanks for your detailed answer! I really appreciate the insight Brian :)

10. Steve Kalman July 23, 2012 at 10:57 am - Reply

Brian, in a similar vein, do you simply auto bracket or do you intentionally meter various parts. Given that you are doing long exposures what, if anything, do you do to manage the exposure times as you change metering points?

11. Brian Matiash July 23, 2012 at 11:51 am - Reply

+Steve Kalman Another great question. When I bracket, I usually meter off of what I consider to be the middle ground. After bracketing for so many years, I've gotten pretty good at determining the right point to meter off of in a scene. With that said, I always take a quick glance at the exposures and the histogram before moving the camera to ensure that I have good exposures for the highlights and shadows.

I hope that helps!

12. Toby Harriman July 23, 2012 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Love this waterfall shot +Brian Matiash

13. Richard Swayze July 23, 2012 at 3:26 pm - Reply

That's great! Loving these shots you're posting!

14. Sheri July 31, 2012 at 9:02 am - Reply

Gorgeous. What were your camera settings on this photo?
    I just found your website and blog I appreciate all the info.