On The Unnecessary Burden Of Having To Get That Perfect Shot

By |2012-07-19T09:31:10+00:00Jul 18th, 2012|

First off, here is this week’s entry for +Eric Leslie‘s #waterfallwednesday . It’s one of my favorite themes here on G+.

I know I’m getting jaded when I actually felt disappointment as I arrived at Toketee Falls, the third of three falls that +Brian Bonham photographed on our way to Crater Lake this past weekend. I guess I’ve gotten used to having the privilege of direct access to the waterfalls I visit. I’ve been able to carefully pounce around the flow trails and get as close to the falls as I care to go.

Now don’t get me wrong at all. I give huge kudos to those who built the thoughtfully manicured and stair-stepping trail, as well as the beautiful outlook from which visitors can easily view and photograph the sight. The turnoff for me is having such a limited number of ways to photograph the scene due to the confined space that I had access to. It’s easy to fall into that pit of apathy – the killer of all creativity.

The key here is to not let yourself get discouraged. And at the very least, do not put your camera away. The important thing here is to let your mind go free and try to stop concentrating on having to get that amazing shot. I find that my muse comes running to me whenever I’m not calling out for it. Sometimes, you just need to let the chips fall where they may and make the best of your time by not trying.

Because of the massive dynamic range in this scene, I had to blend two different exposures in Perfect Layers 2 by +onOne Software. One exposure metered for the bright water and the other metered for the deep shadows.

Stylization was straightforward – Green Enhancer, Rich Glow, and Tonal Contrast – all applied in Perfect Effects 3 (also by onOne).

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.1.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Eric Leslie July 18, 2012 at 10:10 am - Reply

I totally feel you there. I visited these falls back in April and was discouraged that there is basically one place to setup your tripod. Great job on the details. One of these days we should try to hike down the canyon walls and get to the bottom. There are photos out there from the river level. I've heard you need to bring ropes and climbing skills (that I don't have :/)

2. Anna Freidl July 18, 2012 at 10:12 am - Reply

wow ……..The photo is of the madness.

3. Brian Matiash July 18, 2012 at 10:13 am - Reply

+Eric Leslie It's definitely worth a shot – although I'm still working on my trail skills. But just leave it to +Brian Bonham – he jumped over the fence and shot about 30 feet before the platform. He is a crazy mountain goat.

4. miguel jarolin July 18, 2012 at 10:16 am - Reply

bueno¡¡

5. Anna Freidl July 18, 2012 at 10:16 am - Reply

You have a lot of talent ….

6. Chris Helms July 18, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I have heard often that constraints actually will allow us to be even more creative – such finding a way from a strict path to capture an unique image.  Being around architects in my full-time job, I come across this nearly every day.  You have done a great job with this photo to overcome your constraints!

I just looked up "constraint creativity" on the google machine and there are so many articles on this from the NY Times, Wired, HuffPo, etc. so there must be something to this!

7. Jerry Denham July 18, 2012 at 10:43 am - Reply

This is just beautiful Brian.

8. Dominique Dubied July 18, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

Wonderful image Brian!

9. Tarek Morshed July 18, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

wowwww………………

10. Carol Gary July 18, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

What a wonderful, inspiring shot!

11. ZAFI NIKO July 18, 2012 at 10:57 am - Reply

just perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Johan Peijnenburg July 18, 2012 at 11:41 am - Reply

Beautiful work +Brian Matiash! And thanks for the added info. Will need to have a look at that onOne Software!

13. Michael Hatten July 18, 2012 at 11:44 am - Reply

It's good to see that Toketee Falls trail is back open. It was closed down because of a landslide that wiped out the trail leading down to the tree mounted viewpoint prior to 06. It's now back on my to visit list. I foresee a possible fall trip down the Umpqua river this year.

14. Scott Thomas July 18, 2012 at 12:20 pm - Reply

I need to try blending some of my waterfall photos using Perfect Layers.  Nice example, +Brian Matiash

15. Alexandre Fagundes de Fagundes July 20, 2012 at 4:43 am - Reply