Just Needs A Little Love

By | 2012-07-12T18:40:38+00:00 Jul 12th, 2012|

Here’s another image – some afternoon delight, if you will.

A few weeks back, I posted the exterior skeleton of this Ford truck. I was with one of my favorite people in these parts, +Karen Hutton, as we meandered around the Donner Lake area. We stumbled onto this mechanic’s garage, decided to roll the dice, and asked for permission to photograph his digs. It turns out that the mechanic couldn’t have been a nicer fella. He gave Karen and I free reign – “Go wherever ya want,” he said.

After getting a few different angles of the exterior, I decided to get creative with my tripod yoga and positioned the camera with my 17mm T/S lens pointing in. This image required a helluva lot of brackets because the dynamic range was quite massive (that’s what she said… sigh ).

Stylization was tricky, too. It’s hard to get a certain look without really losing your shadow detail, so this was a touch-n-go play. I did selectively apply some FocalPoint lovin’ to the exterior to help minimize distractions and keep the eyes in the vehicle.

To see the exterior and original post, click here:

#HDR

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Paul Kelly July 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm - Reply

i have no idea what you just said but that picture is pretty sweet

2. Karen Hutton July 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm - Reply

OH man, this turned out purrrrrrrrfectly +Brian Matiash. Siiiigh. This might be a masterpiece, in fact. Thanks for making it impossible for me to post my stuff from this day for the next year.

NOTE: I note that the old paint job is positively, poetically aligned with your hot-pant themed new boy band "Peach Gradient."
    Just saying'. You and the Biebs, giggin' together.
    Ask +Brian Bonham.

3. Brian Matiash July 12, 2012 at 6:42 pm - Reply

+Paul Kelly I do tend to mumble. ;)

4. Brian Matiash July 12, 2012 at 6:43 pm - Reply

+Karen Hutton We're gonna be the next YouTube rage.

5. Karen Hutton July 12, 2012 at 6:48 pm - Reply

Oh yes you are +Brian Matiash… yes. You. Are.

6. Paul Kelly July 12, 2012 at 6:50 pm - Reply

No, no im sure there are many who appreciate the details, just way over my head lol

7. Kerry Murphy July 12, 2012 at 6:52 pm - Reply

This is outrageous, +Brian Matiash!  And I really don't want to hear the stories of what may have happened on that seat.  No thank you.

8. Brian Matiash July 12, 2012 at 6:53 pm - Reply

+Kerry Murphy Some things are best left to the dirty imagination. Trust me… and +Karen Hutton.

+Paul Kelly Totally understandable.

9. Martin Heller July 12, 2012 at 7:00 pm - Reply

This image is outrageously good, +Brian Matiash, even if your imagination has run a little wild about our favorite Cougar(R).

When will we see the Making Of video?

10. Richard Swayze July 12, 2012 at 7:14 pm - Reply

That mattress has probably seen some "afternoon delight" (bow chicka wow wow)….Was that inappropriate? I have no filter.

Love the textures; it's nice and grimy in there.

11. Isolde Eleison July 12, 2012 at 7:28 pm - Reply

I hope you send a copy to the mechanic!

12. Renee Vilneff July 12, 2012 at 8:00 pm - Reply

wow!! this is fantastic!!  I ditto what +Paul Kelly….a lot went over my head too.  Someday I hope to produce masterpieces like this one and understand all of what you just said :)

13. Martin Heller July 12, 2012 at 8:15 pm - Reply

+Renee Vilneff +Paul Kelly If I understood +Brian Matiash correctly, this was an HDR using more than 3 exposures that he additionally processed, most likely using Perfect Photo Suite and perhaps something else from Nik and/or Adobe.

14. Renee Vilneff July 12, 2012 at 8:26 pm - Reply

thank you +Martin Heller for the explanation.  It was the T/S lens, stylization and focal point that was going over my head but now realize that stylization and focal point are post processing techniques based on the programs you mentioned.  Still not sure what T/S lens is but I will google it

Edit – T/S lens = Tilt shift lens, now I have to learn what that is :)

15. Janine Fugere July 12, 2012 at 9:14 pm - Reply

God you have a fun way of telling your BTS tech tidbits stories!

16. Janine Fugere July 12, 2012 at 9:48 pm - Reply

And, wow, but it just hit me that I understood very word of what you wrote, which means I've learned a boatload of stuff over the past year or so. :-) Sometimes I don't realize the amazing pace at which i've soaked up knowldege in this time where there are soooo many ways to learn from others. And I'd bet my bottom dollar that some onOne software helped with that stylization…

17. tom Long July 12, 2012 at 10:02 pm - Reply

???????

18. Karen Hutton July 12, 2012 at 10:48 pm - Reply

+Kerry Murphy – don't listen to +Brian Matiash!! He'll sully your mind with the dirty front seat of HIS imagination every time!

19. ??? July 13, 2012 at 1:11 am - Reply

iphone?ps??,??????…

20. Josephine Erdmann July 13, 2012 at 1:36 am - Reply

Is that Real???? Thats so beautiful, how did u do that?!

21. shruti kapoor July 13, 2012 at 3:02 am - Reply

yuck

22. Tony Eveling July 13, 2012 at 3:47 am - Reply

Love the detail and colouring…Well done!!

23. Pierre Adams July 13, 2012 at 7:20 am - Reply

cool

24. Pete Collins July 13, 2012 at 8:37 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash those aren't pillows!

25. Faith Mowris July 13, 2012 at 5:34 pm - Reply

cool

26. Anna Lowry July 16, 2012 at 12:41 pm - Reply

This makes me want to eat those special brownies…

27. Elia Locardi July 16, 2012 at 11:24 pm - Reply

This shot is great, +Brian Matiash. Now get the heck outta my car! ;)

28. Karen Hutton July 16, 2012 at 11:25 pm - Reply

I wanna plus one this again!

29. Brian Matiash July 16, 2012 at 11:26 pm - Reply

+Karen Hutton Such a great time. I am fixing up a few more images and will then send them over to John's wife.

30. Karen Hutton July 16, 2012 at 11:31 pm - Reply

Oh – she's going to LOOOOOVE them! I haven't worked up the gumption yet, since every time I think of doing one, you knock ANOTHER from this day outta the park. So I wait.
    And bide my time.