On…. corn

By | 2012-07-11T10:15:40+00:00 Jul 11th, 2012|

Sometimes, there isn’t much to say about your shot. Sometimes, the subject matter is so compelling that it can stand on its own. And in this case, the subject is corn. :)

A lot of my inspiration for being pulled to shoot this Nebraska cornfield had been derived directly from Samir Osman and +Amy Osman (for some reason, G+ isn’t letting me tag Samir). I’ve been loving the cornfield shots that they had recently been posting.

A lot of the methodology that went into the stylization here was intentionally heavy handed. I wanted to emote a brooding sensation because I felt it supplemented the shot that was, at face value, rather dull and devoid of drama.

The key here was to find the right focal point, the perfect object to visually call out. So, I walked down the rows of this cornfield until I found one cob dangling down, husk removed. I knew I found what I needed. After some gentle arrangement and removal of distracting leaves, I framed and fired.

Sometimes, it’s just about the corn.

This is a seven-exposure #HDR  tone-mapped image. I did everything in Photomatix because it has some excellent user-defined ghost reduction control. And, because of the wind, there was plenty of potential ghosting that I was able to mitigate.

For the look itself, I went very grungy using styles from Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software. I started with a Deep Forest Glow as my base. Next, I added a small amount of Green Enhancer, using the Multiply blending mode. I added some Havana specifically to the cob to bring out the yellow and help it stand out. Finally, I masked in some Vecchio onto the dirt.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.1.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Steve Boyko July 11, 2012 at 8:57 am - Reply

Thanks for explaining your thought processes on this and how you shot and processed it.

2. Andreas Kaspar July 11, 2012 at 8:57 am - Reply

Awesome shot

3. Ricardo Williams July 11, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

Now when you mention: "tools in the +onOne Software suite"… I can keep on reading, because I can now understand and I can now apply them to my photos…. thanks for the description +Brian Matiash  :)  And I like this HDR…. oohhhh the stories of the Corn Fields :)

4. mostafa mohamadzade July 11, 2012 at 9:00 am - Reply

this shot easily can help me to hungry!!!

5. nas alpasha July 11, 2012 at 9:25 am - Reply

the distigushed photographer who can make a good subject from normal and ordinary views ..
    Brian .. the corn is shining in your shot .. go ahead ..

6. Amy Osman July 11, 2012 at 9:33 am - Reply

I'm glad we could inspire something so beautiful. I love the processing, +Brian Matiash !

7. Steve Sullivan July 11, 2012 at 9:34 am - Reply

Ah, Children of the Corn =)  Had to throw that in there seeing how I live in Nebraska and there is a corn field.  Love the shot!! great processing!

8. Jora Payton July 11, 2012 at 9:46 am - Reply

Nice!!

9. ??? July 11, 2012 at 9:52 am - Reply

I had saw this phenomenon when I was a child,how iteresting It is !

10. Shelly Gunderson July 11, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Really nice shot of something rather common around the midwest!  I just saw on another post that Samir Osman decided to leave G+.  His wife Amy said he is very busy at the time to be distracted.  :-(

11. Kyle Whitney July 11, 2012 at 10:03 am - Reply

Nebraska! represent! lol. nice write up and really neat image :)

12. Brian Matiash July 11, 2012 at 10:06 am - Reply

Thank you very much, everyone!!

13. Kelly Morgan July 11, 2012 at 10:22 am - Reply

I love the corn, but I also love that cracked Nebraska soil leading away and disappearing into the rows. Nicely done!

14. Dave Veffer July 11, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Who would have thought corn could look so cool!  I love this shot!

15. Ruheel Khan July 11, 2012 at 11:16 am - Reply

i also love the CORN

16. Christoph Walter July 11, 2012 at 11:25 am - Reply

I like the green together with the color in the sky – cool picture

17. Vlasta Ferjan?i? July 11, 2012 at 11:33 am - Reply

Super fotografija – koruzno polje!

18. Magnus Fohlman July 11, 2012 at 12:24 pm - Reply

I´m gonna show this to my girlfriend. She´s got a thing for corn on a cob at the moment. Everything she talks about is corn on a cob and how much she craves it. I´ll bet she´ll like this shot :)

19. kimberly pemberton July 11, 2012 at 1:59 pm - Reply

i love corn, but i love +Amy Osman in the corn fields more.
    ;)

20. Brian Matiash July 11, 2012 at 2:20 pm - Reply

+kimberly pemberton I concur.

21. Bob Lussier July 11, 2012 at 3:05 pm - Reply

I really like this shot, Brian. Were you on friendly grounds? Wandering through someone's cornfield without could be a treacherous proposition! :-)

22. Otilia Savea July 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm - Reply

beautiful by the view..

23. Scott Stuart July 11, 2012 at 6:29 pm - Reply

Ah…reminds me of my days de-tasseling corn. Unfortunately, it makes me itch! I developed a bad case of corn poisoning from cuts from the edge of the leaves. They're sharp!