On The Various Ways To Convey A Path

By | 2012-07-02T10:47:48+00:00 Jul 2nd, 2012|

As far as I’m concerned, one of the my favorite ways to convey a path in a scene is via its curves. Although, I guess it also depends on the context, too. For most scenes, even those that meander way off into some unknown vanishing point, curvy paths, trails, and roads offer visual interest and curiosity. It instantly engages the viewer because the viewer must now process the curve in the road. The eyes see a curve, the mind begins to analyze how it curves and where it leads to.

Voila! The imagination has been engaged.

When I was shooting this pathway flanked with beautiful wildflowers, I had plenty of options on how to convey it. There were plenty of straightaway stretches that could have been interesting but I found this particular curve to be most appealing. By starting in one corder and then sharply turning through the frame and terminating in the opposing corner, the eye is forced to travel through the entire frame. For me, this is a critical step to try and achieve. It also helped  that I deliberately changed the original color and tone of the path so that it stood out from the surrounding grass and flowers.

It’s something worth exploring when you’re out shooting any sort of path or road. Don’t just take it at face value. Search it and find the parts that sing louder than others.

Pretty straight forward here – all done in Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software. Vecchio was used on the path itself. Some Green Enhancer and Daily Vitamin were used on the entire image, along with a tiny amount of Deep Forest Glow.

Final touches were applied in Lightroom 4.1

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Ryan MacLean July 2, 2012 at 10:13 am - Reply

Green Enhancer and Daily Vitamin sound delicious :) PS plugins?
    Great shot +Brian Matiash, the curve is definitely working here, foreground to deep in the frame.

2. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 10:15 am - Reply

+Ryan MacLean Thanks, mang. Nah, these are effect names from one of our products called Perfect Effects 3. I forgot to mention that in the description (just added it in).

3. Anson Jett July 2, 2012 at 10:15 am - Reply

Great shot!

4. Ryan MacLean July 2, 2012 at 10:17 am - Reply

Ah yeah see it now, thanks +Brian Matiash. I simply assumed they were more funkily-named PS actions or plugins! I love it when people describe their process.

5. Sandra Parlow July 2, 2012 at 10:17 am - Reply

so pretty Brian!

6. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 10:19 am - Reply

+Ryan MacLean Cheers, mate. I find that part of the process (sharing the step by step image editing workflow) very cathartic. It's actually one of the things that I wholly attribute to me getting my role at onOne Software.

7. Ryan MacLean July 2, 2012 at 10:21 am - Reply

Catharsis, eh? Maybe I should try it out. Restore karmic balance and all.

8. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 10:24 am - Reply

+Ryan MacLean Yeah, it helps keep me balanced as I teeter on that whole Light/Dark side of life. :)

9. Joseph Fanvu July 2, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

very cool Brian!

10. Tressa Crozier July 2, 2012 at 11:27 am - Reply

This is lovely…such an effortless beauty.

11. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 11:28 am - Reply

+Tressa Crozier Danke!

12. Steve Kalman July 2, 2012 at 11:36 am - Reply

Aside from being an outstanding picture, the description and lesson came with perfect timing.

I have to go back to one of the geocaches I placed, having gotten a log report that the container is broken and the contents are soaked. Along the way, there is a boardwalk over a swampy area.

I plan to hit it early (if lucky, to catch some fog) and will certainly look for a POV that shows an interesting curve.

Thanks for the post, and for your daily how-to lesson.

13. Brian Matiash July 2, 2012 at 11:43 am - Reply

+Steve Kalman It's my absolute pleasure to share! I'm just glad you enjoyed it.

14. Sandi Gagne September 5, 2012 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Hi Brian, this looks like a little park by my house called Camassia. Is it? I take photos there also.