On Being Part Of A Tribe

By | 2012-06-07T10:58:23+00:00 Jun 7th, 2012|

Just a quick share today. Lots to do before I leave for Tahoe tomorrow, but I did want to get this image out there before then. I took this shot a few weeks ago during the launch of the Rose Festival here in PDX. It was a wonderful time and I was joined by some great, local photographers who I now consider friends – +Lars Gustafson, +Arno Jenkins, +Kelly-Shane Fuller, +Christopher Germano and very reluctantly, +Brian Bonham.

My point here is that, despite being flanked by these guys (along with +Aaron Reed) who were all shooting the exact same thing with just about the exact same vantage point, I couldn’t have asked to have a better time. There was everything from joke-cracking to true collaboration of optimal camera settings and focal lengths. In all truth, we all wanted each other to walk away with killer shots.

It was truly a great experience and the best thing of all was that I walked away with some new friends who I can always count on to go on more photowalks down the road.

This is actually an exposure blend of four different images. I had my camera locked tightly down on my tripod and collected a small library of images with the exact same foreground. All of the images were at a constant f/9 at ISO 100. Shutter speed ranged between 4 and 5 seconds but YMMV. Then, I cherry-picked the image with the best foreground and started masking in different fireworks bursts at different positions in the sky to give the image more of a brilliant feel. All of the layering and masking was done in Perfect Layers 2 by +onOne Software.

Stylization was minimal here. I applied a Rich Glow to render the sky into total blackness while bringing out a nice richness in the color of the fireworks. Some Tonal Contrast was painted in on the foreground to add texture.

Final touches were applied in Adobe Lightroom 4.1.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Aidan Kalloo June 7, 2012 at 10:38 am - Reply

great photo!

2. Brad Sloan June 7, 2012 at 10:38 am - Reply

Reluctantly…..nice.

3. Shelly Gunderson June 7, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Wonderful shot.  Love fireworks.

4. Grant Meyer June 7, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Thats cool +Brian Matiash

5. BJ Denenberg June 7, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

Sounds like a lot of work went into that final image, but it was worth it.

6. Brian Bonham June 7, 2012 at 10:40 am - Reply

Reluctantly?  yah right… do I need to tell them about you begging me to come?

7. Barry Blanchard June 7, 2012 at 10:42 am - Reply

Tahoe?

WUT?

How long you going to be there, +Brian Matiash?

8. Brian Matiash June 7, 2012 at 10:44 am - Reply

+Barry Blanchard Technically, thru Wednesday night but I'm going to Yosemite for work-related stuff on Monday/Tuesday.

9. Hannah Higdon June 7, 2012 at 10:45 am - Reply

Great shot (:

10. Kelly-Shane Fuller June 7, 2012 at 10:46 am - Reply

Very nice work Brian! I think every photog needs a tribe of like minded friends. Its good for everybody's art and its a great time to boot… Well, if we keep +Brian Bonham out of bodies of water anyway…

11. Sairam Sundaresan June 7, 2012 at 10:51 am - Reply

fantastic shot +Brian Matiash .. Thanks for sharing the details of the shot too :) . Just curious how long did you expose for each of the fireworks?

12. Brian Matiash June 7, 2012 at 10:54 am - Reply

+Sairam Sundaresan Great question – all of the images were at a constant f/9 at ISO 100. Shutter speed ranged between 4 and 5 seconds.

13. Sairam Sundaresan June 7, 2012 at 10:56 am - Reply

thanks +Brian Matiash  for sharing info.. The reason I asked is because it's very tricky to meter these shots.. a lot of times, you end up missing the moments when the fire works flower out. This is some really fantastic work!

14. Brian Bonham June 7, 2012 at 10:58 am - Reply

+Kelly-Shane Fuller don't be a hater just because some of us are willing to go the extra mile for a shot.

15. Brian Matiash June 7, 2012 at 10:59 am - Reply

+Sairam Sundaresan Totally agreed. I was basically standing there with my remote cable on Bulb and testing various shutter speeds. Ultimately, 4-5 seconds at f/9 gave me the best results.

16. Kelly-Shane Fuller June 7, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I just don't wanna get peed on in our next shoot… Just sayin.

17. Chris Smith June 7, 2012 at 11:05 am - Reply

Please keep me posted on future photowalks or shoots. Loved my time with the folks this past weekend!

18. Brian Matiash June 7, 2012 at 11:07 am - Reply

+Kelly-Shane Fuller It happened when +Arno Jenkins gave +Brian Bonham a weird, shifty look. All of a sudden, Brian just started peeing on Arno. It was surreal.

Best just not to make eye contact with BB. Next time, I'll bring the tranq gun.

Consider it done, +Chris Smith.

19. José Ramos June 7, 2012 at 11:08 am - Reply

Great!

20. Kelly-Shane Fuller June 7, 2012 at 11:11 am - Reply

Some say he naturally faces magnetic north, and if you tune your radio to 88.4 you can actually hear his thoughts… All we know is, he's called +Brian Bonham.

21. Brian Bonham June 7, 2012 at 11:13 am - Reply

Tune in… I've got some thoughts for you guys.

22. Amy Heiden June 7, 2012 at 11:15 am - Reply

Have fun in Tahoe!

23. Brian Matiash June 7, 2012 at 11:15 am - Reply

I've heard that +Brian Bonham eats pieces of shit for breakfast.

24. Brian Bonham June 7, 2012 at 11:18 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash cannibalism isn't in my repertoire.

25. Karen Hutton June 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm - Reply

LOVE this photo… and you boys' silly manilly ways… +Brian Matiash +Kelly-Shane Fuller +Brian Bonham
    Tahoe is officially ready for you, BM!!!

26. PK PAUL June 8, 2012 at 3:18 am - Reply

beautiful pict

27. Amit Shukla June 8, 2012 at 7:52 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash – Which Parking Garage did you go to?

28. Brian Matiash June 8, 2012 at 3:27 pm - Reply

+Amit Shukla It was pretty much the first one that you see after you cross the Hawthorne Bridge. On the left.

29. eleisa barbour June 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm - Reply

Very nice. Think I'll try some of your suggestions during the July 4th celebrations…