On Treating Fences As Mild & Optional Obstacles

By |2012-06-04T12:41:55+00:00Jun 4th, 2012|

I would have loved to share some images processed from the weekend’s epic LIL Galleries opening and Photowalk but, alas, my Drobo-S is pooping itself like an old man and I don’t feel comfortable working off of it. So, until +Drobo actually resolves the issue or RMAs my unit for a fourth time, I’m working off of archived materials. :)

But, surely I digress. This shot isn’t actually very old. I took it the weekend before last on a nice, solo shoot along the Columbia River Gorge. What you’re seeing is Shepperd’s Dell. The path leading here is a very casual one that ends abruptly at a metal fence, preventing people from inadvertently walked into this waterfall.

The only thing is that you really can’t get this particular vantage point unless you actually treat the fence as optional and climb over it and into the water. By doing so, I was able to position my tripod more in the center of the stream and low enough to get these nice boulders to serve as foreground anchors. It gave me a shot that I felt was much more compelling than one I’d get by standing safely behind the fence. I did enjoy the quizzical looks that I got from other visitors as they watched me fumble to the center of this scene. :)

Now, take these words as cautionary. I am not advocating that everyone go out and jump over fences into potentially hazardous or illegal situations without weighing the consequences for yourselves. However, after you do make your considerations, please do share your stories of the outcome!

This is a two-exposure blend, giving me the best results of capturing the full tonal range of the scene. One exposure metered for the water and the other metered for the foliage. Blending was done in Perfect Layers 2 by +onOne Software.

Stylization was done in Perfect Effects 3, also by onOne. I applied a Blue filter to the water and a Green Enhancer filter to the foliage and foreground boulders. Next, I applied a small amount of Deep Forest Glow and a custom Tonal Contrast effect for texture.

I then brought the image to FocalPoint 2, also by onOne, and applied a slightly shallow depth of field so that the foreground popped.

Final touches were applied in Adobe Lightroom 4.1.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Jared Naude June 4, 2012 at 11:30 am - Reply

Wow! Looks really good!

2. Joseph Fanvu June 4, 2012 at 11:45 am - Reply

Looking forward to climbing fences in the future! great post, Brian!

3. Shelly Gunderson June 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm - Reply

Very lovely looking!  Can't let a little ole fence stand between you and a good shot!

4. Darlene Hildebrandt June 4, 2012 at 12:31 pm - Reply

I didn't go over any fences but I was asked at Grand Central Station in NYC by a security guard if I had a "tripod permit".  I'm from Canada, I had no idea what that was but I could guess.  I said "no where do I get one".  He pointed me in the right direction towards the offices, I started folding up my tripod, and as soon as he was safely around the corner out of sight – put it back and finished my shot.  I knew the reality of getting one on the spot was slim to none and it certainly wasn't going to be free.  Does that story count +Brian Matiash ?

5. murphyz June 4, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

As long as you stay safe and do no damage I’m all for jumping over a fence or two to get a shot that others cannot.

6. Darlene Hildebrandt June 4, 2012 at 2:36 pm - Reply

guess so LOL

7. Lauri Novak June 4, 2012 at 2:40 pm - Reply

That scares me as Drobo are something I'm looking at.

8. Darlene Hildebrandt June 4, 2012 at 2:43 pm - Reply

Yeah I was too, tell us more?

9. Ben Canales June 4, 2012 at 2:49 pm - Reply

I got one of these and looooooove it!

10. Bob Lussier June 4, 2012 at 3:46 pm - Reply

Great shot and great story. I totally agree. Last year I was shooting at Portland Head Light at Cape Elizabeth, Maine. It was just before the park closed and a couple of people (with cameras) were lingering at the fence overlooking the lighthouse. I walked up, and immediately hopped the fence and scampered down the rocks to get a better vantage point.

One woman looked at me and asked, "Can you do that?" I yelled back, "We'll see!"

I got the shot.

11. Jacob Lucas June 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm - Reply

Peter Lik – Behind the Scenes – Pacific Northwest

"This river is absolutely bloody rippin' through here!"

12. Chris Newham June 4, 2012 at 4:23 pm - Reply

Beautiful shot and great you share the pp/stylisation process you used. I love perfect effects but sometimes its so hard to decide what filter to use from the stack in it. Thks.

13. ashok mani June 4, 2012 at 4:30 pm - Reply

Luv it +Brian Matiash

14. Michael Muraz June 4, 2012 at 5:17 pm - Reply

Nice story and great image! The rocks really make the shot!

15. Stuart Taylor June 6, 2012 at 12:31 am - Reply

I had a Drobo but after hearing many horror stories of lost data from many people including a photographer who lost gigabytes of his photos I retired my Drobo and replaced with a separate RAID system disc system.