On Taking It Slow During Departure

By |2012-06-04T13:03:17+00:00Jun 1st, 2012|

After seeing the curviness of this stream, I fully understand why it is aptly  named Zig Zag Falls. I had a wonderful time here – and not just because of the plentiful targets to shoot. I also had some excellent company in +Brian Bonham, +Arno Jenkins, and +Lars Gustafson . Despite having four photographers shooting in the same proximity, it amazes me at how different each of us were in what we saw and how we processed our images. I can’t wait to shoot with these fellas again… even Arno. :)

In terms of the title of this shot – when we first parked at Zig Zag, we were filled with excitement and, as such, bounded towards the actual waterfall that was situated towards the end of the trail. As we hustled to it, we took note of this stream but, ultimately, paid it little attention to it as our hopes were set on shooting something a bit larger. And we were greatly rewarded – Zig Zag Falls was beautiful, accessible, and offered oodles of different ways to shoot it.

After an hour or so, after we were done, we decided to return back to the cars, but we did so with a very slow cadence – a total 180 compared to the pace at which we entered the area. Now, we took our time. We stopped frequently and for long spells. We’d fan out, do some shooting and move on.

We collaborated and helped each other. We shot alongside and above each other. When I tried dealing with a distracting branch in my shot, Arno kindly jumped into the water and repositioned it altogether, totally removing the distraction. We discussed potential ways to shoot the scene as it changed every hundred feet or so. It was fantastic and it is a great reminder to smell the roses because the biggest spectacle may not always be the best one.

This is a two-exposure blend using a basic layer mask in Perfect Layers 2 by +onOne Software. One exposure dealt with the water and the other dealt with the surrounding land.

Stylization was achieved by combining a basic Blue filter onto the water along with a Green Enhancer onto the land and foreground rock. I then applied some Tonal Contrast and a Rich Glow to the entire scene. All done in Perfect Effects 3 by onOne.

After that, I sent the image to FocalPoint 2 and added a tiny amount of blur to the background, just beyond the curve, to give the impression of a shallow DoF.

Final touches were applied in Adobe Lightroom 4.1.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Rene BERNHARD June 1, 2012 at 8:52 am - Reply

This looks awesome with the DOF and the long exposed water.

2. Noah Katz June 1, 2012 at 8:54 am - Reply

Great story and photo +Brian Matiash. I love the the water came out in this.

3. Shelly Gunderson June 1, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

Very nice shot!  Neat look to the water!

4. zaib ali June 1, 2012 at 8:55 am - Reply

this is imazeing you have to good lake you went to go thear

5. Michael Preston June 1, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

Fabulous image and processing…a real "Wow" scene!

6. Arno Jenkins June 1, 2012 at 8:56 am - Reply

Nice job +Brian Matiash, I'm just starting to go through my photos from that day…going to test out Perfect Layers 2 by +onOne Software today. I'll let you know how it goes.

7. Alexandre Fagundes de Fagundes June 1, 2012 at 8:58 am - Reply

Fabulous long shutter time image, it has a magic feeling.

For how long you had to leave the shutter open +Brian Matiash ?

8. Charlie Cotugno June 1, 2012 at 8:59 am - Reply

Great story, Brian. The shot is beautiful but I think the big take aways here are take the time to photographically explore your surroundings and the value of collaboration. These are the real keys to progressing as an artist.

9. Brian Matiash June 1, 2012 at 9:18 am - Reply

+Charlie Cotugno – Indeed, my friend. And those topics are certainly on the docket for future posts. :) Gotta keep these topics fresh and plentiful.

10. Joseph Fanvu June 1, 2012 at 9:18 am - Reply

nice shot! I do like that blur too

11. Brian Matiash June 1, 2012 at 9:19 am - Reply

+Alexandre Fagundes de Fagundes Good question. I had my Lee 3-stop ND filter on for both exposures. The exposure for the water was about .5" and the rest of the scene was about 4".

12. Eckbert Dollhofer June 1, 2012 at 9:24 am - Reply

Wow – amazing Work!

13. Christian Held June 1, 2012 at 9:41 am - Reply

Wow that's an eye opener +Brian Matiash as I tend to use only my ND filters (well I don't have any others yet) but that +onOne Software sounds like a software to be tested. Thankfully they offer a beta version. G+ definitely is THE site to be inspired, to be bought and to exchange some awesome info. Thanks for sharing! :)

14. Magnus Fohlman June 1, 2012 at 9:53 am - Reply

I really need to buy a ND filter :) love these kind of pictures an I long for the day I can afford a ND. Thanks for sharing pic and a word about the post processing…

15. Alex Racanelli June 1, 2012 at 9:56 am - Reply

Wonderful result Brian and agree 100% with +Charlie Cotugno 's comments…:)

16. Brian Bonham June 1, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I'll pee in a river for you shoot with you anytime.

17. Kirk Norbury June 1, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Nice shot :)

18. Nick Nieto June 1, 2012 at 10:34 am - Reply

I love how the background blurs out on this.  So many landscape shots have everything crisp this is done really nicely

19. Lars Gustafson June 1, 2012 at 10:49 am - Reply

Awesome. Really like that glow, and how the river draws the eye through the scene.

20. Margie Amspacher June 1, 2012 at 11:00 am - Reply

Zigzag falls is such a treasure, in the winter time too.  Won't you go back in November and capture the falls in the snow?  Your photos are always such a joy to see.  Thanks +Brian Matiash !

21. Nate Parker June 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm - Reply

Oh such a beauty +Brian Matiash! Love this!

22. Patricia Davidson June 1, 2012 at 8:06 pm - Reply

So beautiful!

23. Brian Matiash June 1, 2012 at 11:40 pm - Reply

+Margie Amspacher Oooh, now I can't wait for winter!