What else would you do at 4:00AM in a hotel lobby?

By | 2012-05-28T23:35:07+00:00 May 25th, 2012|

While waiting for our car to be brought around to begin our sunrise shoot (during the +Google+ Photographer’s Conference), I figured it’d be as good of a time as any to dust off the ol’ fisheye lens and give some #HDR lovin’ to the lobby of the Sir Francis Drake hotel.

With all of the landscape and nature images I’ve been working on and posting recently, it feels so good to return back to some as familiar as this type of architectural HDR imaging.

This is a seven exposure tone-mapped HDR image (via Photomatix) taken with my Canon 5D Mark III. Stylization is a combination of Fashion Passion, Vibrant Glow, Tonal Contrast, and the Blue Dawn effects from Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software.

#GPlusPC

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Keith Dixon May 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

and you did good +Brian Matiash real good!!!

2. Brian Matiash May 25, 2012 at 4:26 pm - Reply

+Keith Dixon Cheers!

3. Marek Bromberek May 25, 2012 at 4:27 pm - Reply

Looks great +Brian Matiash . Maybe I should look into that +onOne Software thing more closely :)

4. Michael Riffle May 25, 2012 at 4:28 pm - Reply

Oooh, swanky.

5. Amanda Recker May 25, 2012 at 4:34 pm - Reply

At that location…that's exactly what I would be doing.

6. Julie Jamieson May 25, 2012 at 4:35 pm - Reply

Brian this is WOW. Such a beautiful entrance way – you truly did it justice here.

7. Brian Matiash May 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm - Reply

+Amanda Recker Hells yeah. The nice benefit of being there at 4AM is that you have no one else to walk through your brackets. :)

8. Brian Matiash May 25, 2012 at 4:36 pm - Reply

+Julie Jamieson Aww, thanks, girlfriend!

9. Brad Sloan May 25, 2012 at 4:38 pm - Reply

I'm pretty sure I would be falling asleep against my backpack. Way to tough it out and come up with something cool.

10. Rick Diffley May 25, 2012 at 4:41 pm - Reply

Nice capture. Just a touch of HDR effect (-:

11. Amanda Recker May 25, 2012 at 4:42 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash – My thoughts exactly. People are such a nuisance…sometimes. ;)

12. Nate Parker May 25, 2012 at 4:44 pm - Reply

Sweet one-

13. Michael Clemens May 25, 2012 at 4:54 pm - Reply

I have to say, I've never been a huge fan of HDR, but when done "tastefully" (like this), it looks fantastic. I like the use of the multiple exposures to fill in the range that the camera can't see, but when it's pushed to that "painterly" look, I just don't quite understand it. Really nice.

14. Jacob Lucas May 25, 2012 at 4:56 pm - Reply

No pictrurueueurerez!! Security Breachez!!

15. Dylan Patrick May 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm - Reply

Awesome shot!

16. Bob Fortner May 25, 2012 at 5:00 pm - Reply

Gorgeous HDR photo!

17. Robert Johnson May 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm - Reply

Very Nice!

18. Mark Esguerra May 25, 2012 at 5:42 pm - Reply

Whoa, awesome shot +Brian Matiash! Great use of that fisheye! ;-)

19. Suzanne Haggerty May 25, 2012 at 5:43 pm - Reply

Oooh! Fun! I thought about renting a fisheye for the conference. You've made me wish I had! +Brian Matiash

20. Anna Lowry May 25, 2012 at 5:48 pm - Reply

Awesomesauce, babe!

21. Randy Scherkenbach May 25, 2012 at 9:17 pm - Reply

Great shot and processing, all you need is a #FisheyeFriday tag on it! :-)

22. elizabeth hahn May 25, 2012 at 10:26 pm - Reply

Oh this rocks!!! Love all the detail in the ceiling.

23. Steve Huskisson May 26, 2012 at 5:49 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash 4am in the hotel lobby? I'd probably be wondering how I am going to stumble up those steps to get back to my room. That is, if the bar is right behind the camera!

24. Julia Peterson May 27, 2012 at 8:25 am - Reply

which hotel +Brian Matiash

25. Cynthia Pyun May 27, 2012 at 10:26 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash this hotel had gotten old over the years. I think this is one of the first times I've 'seen' it back in it's glory! Next time, if the Starlight is still there, you'll have to capture the piano like this. It used to hold a lot of famous butts sliding across it :)
    You've made this look glorious!

26. Brian Matiash May 27, 2012 at 10:30 am - Reply

+Julia Peterson This is the Sir Francis Drake hotel on the corner of Powell and Sutter. It's where the panelists were put up for the G+ Conference. It was… quaint. :)

Thanks so much, +Cynthia Pyun, et al.! I wish I had some more time to explore the other areas of the hotel.

27. Cynthia Pyun May 27, 2012 at 10:35 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash that's an invitation and photowalk awaiting your return!

28. Darlene Hildebrandt May 28, 2012 at 11:53 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash on tripod I'm assuming, yes? Have you seen +Klaus Herrmann 's work? His HDR vertoramas are amazing! Like a pano but vertical, in these amazing cathedrals, etc. Surreal and magical.

29. Brian Matiash May 29, 2012 at 12:13 am - Reply

Hey +Darlene Hildebrandt – yup, this was on a tripod with all legs retracted so that the camera was close to the ground and pivoted up on the ballhead. And I'm certainly a fan of +Klaus Herrmann. :)

30. Klaus Herrmann May 29, 2012 at 4:17 am - Reply

I like the subtle light and the symmetry in this image. Great work, Brian!