On Your Friend, The Corner Terminus

By | 2012-04-24T10:48:40+00:00 Apr 24th, 2012|

Depending on the sort of photographer you are, you’ll either agree or disagree with me as I emphatically extoll my affinity for terminating leading lines into any of the four corners of a frame. You get double points if you can terminate two lines into separater corners, too. :)

As a photographer who absolutely loves architecture, I find this practice to be logical – akin to trying to find symmetry and parallels in a scene. I tend to terminate lines into corners because it gives the viewer’s eyes a logical start point – a springboard of sorts to begin the visual journey through the frame. You start in the corner, work your way in and then work your way over. All areas of the frame get some eye-love and the viewer begins to develop a story in their minds. They get engaged with the shot and it gets gears to turn, spurring their own creativity.

As far as I’m concerned, the greatest gift of a photograph is that it is another source of fuel for imagination, creativity, and most importantly, inspiration.

I took this shot with my good friend, kick-ass photographer and onOne colleague, +Rick LePage about two months ago on Hayden Island, bordering Oregon and Washington. This is a two image long exposure blend using the Masking Bug in Perfect Layers by +onOne Software (it’s free, ya know!). One exposure covered the sky and the other covered the remaining foreground.

Next, I liberally applied a Blue Filter from Perfect Effects 3, masking it out of the pylons and the refinery in the background. I didn’t do much to process the rest other than add a tiny Warming Filter and some Tonal Contrast for texture.

Final touches were achieved in Lightroom 4.1RC.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 3 times

1. Brad Sloan April 24, 2012 at 9:51 am - Reply

Terminating leading lines = awww yeah.

2. Brian Matiash April 24, 2012 at 9:54 am - Reply

+Brad Sloan Boom.

3. James Jacobson April 24, 2012 at 10:15 am - Reply

In complete agreement, naturally draws you right into the scene.

4. Victoria Winningham April 24, 2012 at 10:19 am - Reply

I don't mean to be disagreeable by any means…but in art school I was taught this was a definate no no. I've been so brainwashed by it, I actually am turned off when I see a photo like this even though the photo has potential. Sorry…

5. Brad Sloan April 24, 2012 at 10:22 am - Reply

One of the reasons I like being self taught +Victoria Winningham . Makes it easier to break rules that I don't know exist. :)

6. Brian Matiash April 24, 2012 at 10:25 am - Reply

+Victoria Winningham You have absolutely nothing to apologize for – and I welcome alternative opinions. By no means do I ever want to come across as someone who feels that their opinion is gospel. Farrrr from it. I'm as imperfect as they get.

That's why I lead the post off with the disclaimer that you'll either agree or disagree with this practice.

However, I do get concerned when I read statements like "…in art school, I was taught this was a definate [sic] no no." How do you place hard-and-fast rules on art, even on composition?

Every single piece of art, whether it is a painting or a photograph, abides by its own rules. What works for one piece may have no place in another. Subscribing to any sort of concrete rule in the arena of art seems totally against the virtue of art. You rob it of soul by conforming it to someone's predetermined criteria of what is and is not allowed.

Just some food for thought. And I always, always welcome these sorts of debates.

7. Victoria Winningham April 24, 2012 at 10:27 am - Reply

+Brad Sloan I appreciate your reasoning …and after all, who is really to say what the rules should be anyway?? What some people love others hate and vice versa.

8. James Jacobson April 24, 2012 at 10:28 am - Reply

I have always found it interesting even fun to find exceptions to the theories and rules. Creativity happens and discoveries emerge when we move beyond conventional wisdom. Go break some rules today, photographically speaking.

9. Victoria Winningham April 24, 2012 at 11:11 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash I agree that there is no doubt rules are restricting and the ultimate truth anyway is that beauty lies in the eye of the beholder.

10. Mike Spivey April 24, 2012 at 11:16 am - Reply

This is a great discussion. I’ve always liked lines leading in from a corner. I have also seen “rules” like Victoria’s. Very interesting food for thought.

I used the line from the corner in my business card. Wonder if people look at it and think “this guy must be a noob. His line goes right into the corner”. Ha! http://www.spiveyphoto.com/Other/Senior-Shoot/7816874_ZBNnnR#!i=524366046&k=nEHMN

Anyway, I like the unbiased way you presented it. Hard to find good input these days.

11. Jim Migliore April 24, 2012 at 11:24 am - Reply

If Monet did not break the RULES where would we be??

12. […] Later – Inside A Paparazzo’s Camera BagThomasso’s weblogSimple Blog Photography TipsOn Your Friend, The Corner Terminus43 Rumors | Blog | Quesabesde Ãoeber-comparison: Nikon D3000 vs Canon EOS 1000D vs Pentax […]

13. Kate Hailey April 24, 2012 at 4:19 pm - Reply

lovely edit, dig all those blues with that pop of red.

14. Joe Ligammari April 25, 2012 at 5:36 am - Reply

My thoughts for the taking or leaving…

I like to think of the “Rules” of composition as “Sugestions”. As the suggestions do work for many works of art. Most of my favorite artists use the suggestions and break way from them to create “over the top” images.

Interesting and inpsiring works of art create new “suggestions” that we can all use in our future images.

Thanks to all for providing a forum for this discussion.

15. Nigel Powles April 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

a lot of talk about rules but no one actually said what they were. I was hoping to be enlightened

16. andy gimino April 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm - Reply

Great long exposure and use of perfect layers Brian….well done!