On Holding Your Ground

By | 2012-04-09T06:20:40+00:00 Apr 9th, 2012|

I am not a patient person. In fact, I’m borderline manic whenever I have to wait for most things. But, for some reason, this characteristic doesn’t seem to apply whenever it involves a camera. I guess it lends further credence to why I am such a devotee of photography and why I devote my life to it.

In any case, patience did pay off for me when I attempted this shot on Hayden Island a few weeks back with my very good friend, onOne colleague, and overall great photographer, +Rick LePage.

Pretty much as soon as I spotted this massive concrete pipe leading into the water, I knew the shot I wanted. The geese (or ducks or whatever) that were hanging out around where you see them there didn’t seem phased much as I approached. “Ok, this is good. Now just stay there while I set up,” I though.

Of course, being the bumbling oaf that I am, I managed to make some quick gestures that caused them to scurry off into the water. This is where the patience comes in. Had I just folded up my tripod and walked away at the sign of their retreat, I’d be out of a shot. However, I went with the idea that if I simply kept my position the same and didn’t really move or make any sounds, they’d feel that it was safe to return.

With that particular line of thinking, in this case at least, I was right and patience did pay off. After 2 minutes or so, the fowl returned to their position and didn’t move at all, giving me the time I needed to snap off a few long exposures.

Now if only I could apply that patience concept to every single other part of my life. :)

Not much here – I started with a black and white conversion in +onOne SoftwarePerfect Effects 3 and then brought it into Photoshop CS5 to play with the white and black points on an adjustment layer. This helped blow out the remaining highlights while preserving shadow detail. Next, I brought the image into FocalPoint 2 to render the background slightly out of focus, bringing the attention to the pipe and birds. Final touches were achieved in Adobe Lightroom.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Imene Said-Kouidri April 9, 2012 at 6:00 am - Reply

The wait was worth it!

2. Thomas Marthinsen April 9, 2012 at 6:00 am - Reply

Good things come to those who wait :-)

3. Adam Allegro April 9, 2012 at 6:01 am - Reply

Awesome. Although I have been using the hell out of Nik's Silver Efex Pro, this looks fantastic and I might need to give it a try. I agree BTW, in all other aspects of life I am extremely impatient… Put a camera in my hands and I can sit waiting for hours with a smile on my face. Nice work.

4. Andrew Smith April 9, 2012 at 6:07 am - Reply

A serene scene and provocative landscape with a difference in black /white. Patience is a virtue.

5. Nate Parker April 9, 2012 at 6:11 am - Reply

Awesome write up and shot +Brian Matiash certainly shooting le's and incorporating the wildlife can lead to zen like meditation and or tripod leg snapping frustrations!

6. Richard April 9, 2012 at 6:24 am - Reply

Amazing. The shot may have been Ok without them, but the addition of the birds really makes this one great. Well done!

7. Ed King April 9, 2012 at 6:29 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash Awesome shot and thanks for sharing you take on creating the image and with your post.. super work as always

8. Patricia Davidson April 9, 2012 at 6:54 am - Reply

Fantastic shot and write-up!

9. Edith levy April 9, 2012 at 7:16 am - Reply

Your patience certainly paid off. Great shot. I just picked up the OnOne suite and am loving it. I do need to take advantage of your webinars and tutorials to really learn the ins and outs though. Ahhh…all I need is time.

10. Petri Olderhvit April 9, 2012 at 7:21 am - Reply

Thanks for sharing the creation process and your patience…would you have waited 2 hours? ;-))
    Great shot in the end, well worth the wait +Brian Matiash ;-)

11. Keeny Newton April 9, 2012 at 8:46 am - Reply

Great shot there. And thanks for taking out time to share the shooting & processing process.

12. Brian Matiash April 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm - Reply

+Keeny Newton It's my pleasure – I love sharing the details around processing and I'm glad that you all find it useful.

13. Brian Matiash April 9, 2012 at 1:19 pm - Reply

+Petri Olderhvit Hmmmm – 2hrs? Knowing me – not a chance. :)

14. Nicole S. Young April 9, 2012 at 2:19 pm - Reply

You? Impatient?! Whatever.

</sarcasm>

15. Nick Nieto April 9, 2012 at 6:15 pm - Reply

This is fantasy as a black and white – I really love the tones and textures it brings out in the pipe. Also, I totally understand the concept of being impatient in everything but photography. Not sure why, but focusing and waiting on an image to be created is just a peaceful experience; At least for me…

16. W Brian Duncan (AKA IPBrian) April 11, 2012 at 7:58 am - Reply

Someone from the northeast that is impatient? NO! Of course I am as well and I am from the south and Midwest…so I guess my original supposition doesn’t hold water. Hmmm…awesome shot and worth the wait!

17. Dave Sanderling April 11, 2012 at 5:29 pm - Reply

Woooow, super cool.. thanks for sharing the backstory! Always nice to read your posts.

18. Steve Beal April 16, 2012 at 7:10 am - Reply

I love the simplicity of this long exposure, animals/humans are hard to incorporate into LE, you’ve chosen the right subjects… On the nerdiest front ever, the birds are Canada Geese :)