On Tuning Out The Static While Shooting

By |2012-03-10T12:43:41+00:00Mar 10th, 2012|

I don’t know about you but I still get shy at times when shooting in densely populated areas. Despite growing up in New York City and always living in areas with lots of people, I admit that I am not always comfortable with people staring at me while shooting. Don’t get me wrong, it never prevents me from going out and getting shots, but it is something worth bringing up.

I remember shooting this diner on the west side of Manhattan. People walking around would stop, tilt there heads, and wonder why I would want to perch myself in front to shoot it. Then you have the people sitting inside, staring at me. All of this is static serving as a distraction to your concentration – if you let it.

Each photographer has their own way of achieving concentration. Some affix earbuds in their ears and listen to music while others just mentally tune it all out. And still some certainly welcome the cacophony of pedestrian and auto traffic noise. I am one of those latter sorts. I absolutely love the sound of city life. I absorb it and let it bring me to a state of peace. It is what I grew up with and am most comfortable around.

The key is to acknowledge that there are going to be distractions but, even more importantly, it’s critical to know how you, as an individual photographer, can deal with and mitigate these distractions in order to find that peace of mind and concentrate on the image in front of you.

This one goes back into ye ole’ archives. 2010 was the year. I got nine brackets using my trusty Promote Control. Tone-mapping happened in Photomatix.

Stylization occurred in PhotoTools 2.5 by +onOne Software. This was a combination of my favorite effect of all time, Blue Dawn Leonidas, and some Deep Forest Glow.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

1. Lance Rudge March 10, 2012 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Love the processing and feel +Brian Matiash!

2. Eric Bass March 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm - Reply

By far the coolest diner that I've ever seen:) This is great.

3. Luis March 10, 2012 at 1:44 pm - Reply

great shot, i love the colors here!

4. Lee Walker March 10, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

Great processing, love the lights.
    I'll be honest, i get VERY conscious of the people around when im taking shots in my hometown. I don't have any problems when I'm traveling, can shoot away, doesn't matter how many people are around. But really struggle to get comfortable when I'm back at home, Haven't got one decent shot of where I'm from

5. Allen Steen March 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm - Reply

Nice shot, thanks for sharing.

6. Chris Goss March 10, 2012 at 1:56 pm - Reply

Great shot…love all the colors =)

7. Justin Brown March 10, 2012 at 2:17 pm - Reply

Great shot Brian, and you are correct about the distractions, I think you have helped me to recognize the kind of photographer I am. I often find myself rushing to get a shot because I'm not comfortable with people staring at me, or I'm afraid someone is going to start asking me questions.

8. Mark Hyland March 10, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply

Cant get over how SHARP everything in this image is!

9. Mark Hyland March 10, 2012 at 11:58 pm - Reply

Cant get over how SHARP everything in this image is!

10. andy gimino March 11, 2012 at 3:23 am - Reply

Great image and post brian! I thought i was the only one who felt that way sometimes!

11. Kelli Seeger Kim March 11, 2012 at 8:16 am - Reply

Love this. And I love the advice, too. (Luckily for me, I've got the static in my head to counter-balance the static around me. Hah!)

12. Art Hansen March 11, 2012 at 5:26 pm - Reply

And I though it waas just a personal thing with me when I felt uncomfortable….thanks Brian for the inspiration.