On Letting Others Influence Your Processing Style

By | 2012-02-16T17:28:55+00:00 Feb 16th, 2012|

I love the comic book artist, writer and director, Frank Miller.

I love his style, his grit, and the way he presents his art – so much so that it often times influences everything about my photography, from the point of capturing the frame all the way through saving the edited image back into Lightroom. I love that his style influences mine. I love this his illustrations bleed into my photography because it makes me feel greater than the sum of my parts.

It’s something that I see in a lot of people here in Googlevillez and it’s awesome. Being able to look through your own eyes and channel the spirit of someone you admire, paying homage to them – it really is a wonderful thing. It shows gratitude of the highest order – that their art resonates so profoundly with you that it actually shifts how you create your own art.

For this image, I was wholly influenced by one of my favorite Frank Miller comic book story series slash hollywood movie, Sin City. I thought that this hotel sign and building facade served perfectly to drop against a pure black sky.

I shot it with my Fuji X100, intentionally terminating the edge of the building into the lower right corner of the frame. I processed it with a very heavy contrast custom Black and White effect in Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software. I also adjusted the white and black points accordingly in Adobe Photoshop CS5.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (1 photo)

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Layla Kuyper February 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Nice thoughts, Brian. Makes me think of some old quote about nothing being original. But that's ok because everyone's drawing on experiences and previous work and building and creating from that. We're all inspired by different people and their work and isn't that lovely :) Love the processing in your shot and I can definitely see the influence.. looks great!

2. Damien Franco February 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm - Reply

Oh yeah. Frank Miller is amazing.

This is a great post +Brian Matiash

I've found that many of the artists I've studied and admired in the past will influence my work as well.

3. Sunshine Day February 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm - Reply

i love taking pictures of up a building to i have been doing it for at least for everyone of a phone i think will turn out good. AWESOME

4. Paul Moses February 16, 2012 at 12:56 pm - Reply

Unfortunately Frank Miller is also a virulent misogynist and homophobe. He also despises the 99% and defends the war machine that has brought the country to the brink of financial ruin. FYI.

5. Brian Matiash February 16, 2012 at 12:59 pm - Reply

+Paul Moses While I am not going to comment on his sociopolitical stances or views, I will say that I am totally ok with my admiration of him as an artist.

6. Younes Bounhar February 16, 2012 at 1:16 pm - Reply

Do you mean I can't use your processing style anymore?

7. Ali Elhajj February 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm - Reply

I often think of other photographers as I edit (rarely, if ever as I'm shooting).

I know recently, I liked what someone else had done with their sky, and I looked through to get the same feeling in what I was working on. It's just part and parcel of the creative process to borrow from what you've seen to create your own look.

8. Chris Pugh February 16, 2012 at 1:20 pm - Reply

Well done… I think it came out nice and it does look very "frank miller"

9. Brian Matiash February 16, 2012 at 1:22 pm - Reply

Anything for you, +Younes Bounhar. Anything.

10. Camilo Chavez Escobar February 16, 2012 at 2:59 pm - Reply

Awesome story behind the shot! day by day im learning a lot stuff of how to capture in such a perfect way, thank you!

11. Dennis Rivera February 16, 2012 at 3:43 pm - Reply

Really cool shot and a great post.

12. timm burgess February 16, 2012 at 3:55 pm - Reply

I to have a love of Frank Miller's work and add them to #sincityphotogs
    Great shot

13. Andy Tomasello February 16, 2012 at 8:48 pm - Reply

Really, really like the contrast. Great image.

14. Keila Conduff March 10, 2012 at 8:51 am - Reply

Whenever an individual or possibly a business decides that success may be attained, progress stops.
    In modern business it is not the crook who is to become feared most, oahu is the honest man who doesn’t know very well what he could be doing.