On Making Perception Your Reality

By |2012-02-11T11:03:26+00:00Feb 10th, 2012|

I love photography.

I love it because I can create my own perceived reality by manipulating the capabilities of my camera and lens. A lot of getting this shot boiled down to being at the right place at the right time. So much of life follows that same rule of coincidence, doesn’t it?

If you happened to be standing next to me as this train passed by, you’d actually fall over with boredom because as it passed right through downtown Portland, its speed was reduced to a crawl. But that is where the fun begins!

By combining some creative framing (kids, exercise caution whenever opting to shoot two feet from a moving locomotive) and dragging the shutter (to about 10 seconds), I was able to create the impression that this train was busting through town on a mission. It’s this type of in-camera manipulation of the actual scene that makes me chomp at the bit for the next shoot to occur.

Not too much to say here. I achieved the starbursts in the scene by closing the aperture of my lens – no software used there. The overall look of the image wasn’t changed too much. I applied Blue Dawn Leonidas and two custom Tone Enhancer and Glow effects from Perfect Effects 3 by +onOne Software.

Finally, I wanted to simulate a shallow depth of field and blur the vanishing point. I achieved the desired look using FocalPoint 2.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (128 photos)

[map w=”745″ h=”130″ lat=”45.517492″ lon=”-122.664792″ marker=”yes” z=”18″ maptype=”SATELLITE” 680 /]

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Teresa Stover February 10, 2012 at 9:08 am - Reply

You rocked this one. Love it, Brian.

2. Jeffrey Yen February 10, 2012 at 9:12 am - Reply

Ohhh, shiny!

3. Richard Daugherty February 10, 2012 at 9:13 am - Reply

Love the smooth glow of the red crossing lights on the side of the train. Nicely composed and executed, +Brian Matiash!

4. Nathan Langley February 10, 2012 at 9:40 am - Reply

I had a similar thought last night as I was waiting for the sun to set. It was blisteringly cold outside and the few people who passed me walking had that crazy judging look in their eyes. The surrounding area wasn't anything exciting and I could tell they were wondering what I was shooting at.

But you could never tell that I was in the middle of town by looking at the photo I took. I was super excited to be out shooting and had a blast editing the shots. It is so much fun!

5. Randy Berg February 10, 2012 at 5:32 pm - Reply

I just shot a train also, of course I used Onone software to really enhance the photo!

6. Richard Hawkins February 10, 2012 at 5:35 pm - Reply