On Having Fresh Eyes On A Good Ol’ Scene

By |2014-07-12T19:15:42+00:00Feb 7th, 2012|

At first blush, you may or may not know the location of this scene. It does have some definite visual landmarks but to a majority of people, I don’t think it will stand out. This image was taken at Multnomah Falls just outside of Portland this past weekend with my two newest favorite people, Karen Hutton and Ben Canales. Ben is no stranger to this area and I had shot these falls a handful of times already, but Karen was seeing it for the first time. So, what’s a boy to do here? Well, I know that a large majority of people tend to shoot a scene like Multnomah Falls with a wide lens. It makes sense, right? You want to capture the whole scene with all its beauty. And that iconic bridge – come on! So, does that mean that veteran MF photographers should just sit idly by? Not a chance! I had my Canon EF 70-200 2.8L IS on, a lens that I had never used in this location. Fresh eyes. It didn’t take long at all to compose a scene that I was really excited about. Because I knew that I already had shots of the entire falls back at home, I was free to take my time experimenting more with other focal lengths. It opened me up to new possibilities. It reminded me that none of us should ever be done with a location. In terms of processing This is a single exposure image that I processed pretty much exclusively in Perfect Effects 3 by onOne Software. The first effect I applied was Tonal Contrast because it instantly cut through the haze caused by the misting water. Next, I applied a Cooling Filter to the entire image, masking out the boulder in the foreground. Finally, I added a Green Enhancer effect to bring out the beautiful color of the moss. I sent it to FocalPoint 2 afterwards to add a 3% blur to the background and gave the image its final touches in Ligthroom 3’s Develop module.

1. Milena Ilieva February 7, 2012 at 9:44 am - Reply

Lovely work +Brian Matiash

2. Arva Davis February 7, 2012 at 9:46 am - Reply

Beautiful work!

3. Lisa Bach February 7, 2012 at 9:46 am - Reply

Beautiful shot +Brian Matiash :D

4. Paul Wright February 7, 2012 at 9:48 am - Reply

Beautiful LE and color rendition

5. Shelly Gunderson February 7, 2012 at 9:57 am - Reply

Love the color of the moss on that rock and the lovely misty curtain behind. Thanks for sharing how it was done.

6. Len Saltiel February 7, 2012 at 9:58 am - Reply

Stunning Brian

7. Kelli Seeger Kim February 7, 2012 at 9:59 am - Reply

Growing up in Oregon, I've seen MF a bazillion times. First time like this, though. VERY freaking cool, Brian.

8. Crystal Samson February 7, 2012 at 10:00 am - Reply

yep…great angle….something you definitely don't see everyday for the falls

9. Jeff Smith February 7, 2012 at 10:05 am - Reply

I love how the rock stands out so much. Is this all available light, or did you use a flash or something on the rock?

10. Brian Matiash February 7, 2012 at 10:09 am - Reply

+Kelli Seeger Kim Awww yeah – that is the exact reaction I was going for – Thanks so much!

+Jeff Smith – Thank you, as well. This is 100% natural light. In fact, all of my flashes are collecting dust in some bin under my bed. :)

11. Carlo Didier February 7, 2012 at 10:13 am - Reply

Like a theater stage. I love the contrast between the warm colors of the rock against the colder hues of the waterfall. Great image!

12. Craig Pifer February 7, 2012 at 10:30 am - Reply

Great shot. I recognized it right away, despite it not being the typical shot from that site. Really gives me some things to think about.

13. Brian Knapp February 7, 2012 at 10:32 am - Reply

Looks great, Brian. And I look forward to the webinar this afternoon :)

14. Christopher Harnish February 7, 2012 at 10:39 am - Reply

"Never done with a location"- yes! As a matter of fact I usually leave a great location excited to come back, with different equipment or different conditions, etc. If not, then it was likely not a great location. Your shot actually gives me an idea for some falls close to home. Nice one!

15. Kimm Gaillard February 7, 2012 at 11:14 am - Reply

I never would have guessed this to be MF. I visited there many years ago and have never forgot the beauty of the falls. You did a great job capturing this!!

16. Manuel Torres February 7, 2012 at 11:28 am - Reply

Like always, Amazing!

17. Tracy Comer February 7, 2012 at 11:51 am - Reply

This would look awesome on a metallic print!

18. HannaH Beynon February 7, 2012 at 7:09 pm - Reply

love the lighting and colour saturation
    Great pic!

19. Mihir Matalia February 7, 2012 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Hey Brian beautiful shot.Loved light and composition.

20. Tim Sheets February 7, 2012 at 7:53 pm - Reply

Mystical / Magical!

21. Richard February 7, 2012 at 8:26 pm - Reply

Awesome demonstration of the possibilities with long lenses and chucking the usual modus operandi in favor of something different. Great image!

One complaint. After reading your great write up of your thoughts on how and why you created this one the way you did. my retinas had been so burned from the white text on black, that when I viewed the image, it was like looking through venetian blinds. DOH!

22. Brad Sloan February 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm - Reply

This is amazing +Brian Matiash Love it.

23. Sangeeth VS February 8, 2012 at 12:47 am - Reply

Awesome work, +Brian Matiash!

24. Pradnya Chitaley February 8, 2012 at 7:49 am - Reply

Awesome…..

25. Diego Cattaneo February 9, 2012 at 3:00 am - Reply

stunning shot!!

26. Heine J Melgaard February 9, 2012 at 3:58 am - Reply

Fantastic capture +Brian Matiash

27. IPBrian February 9, 2012 at 6:42 am - Reply

I always have to remind myself to do this…especially when visiting places that have obvious shots. I usually get those first, and force myself to think about uncommon things I can do.

28. Chris Lazzery February 10, 2012 at 4:33 am - Reply

Not sure how I missed this, but man do I love the hell out of it. Great shot dude.