On Being A Lucky Dude And Appreciating It

By | 2012-01-22T17:40:04+00:00 Jan 12th, 2012|

One of the luckiest parts of my role here at +onOne Software is getting to work with photographers whom I’ve admired for a long time. More often than not, I get to develop a personal friendship with them. I consider myself very fortunate to call folks like +RC Concepcion, +Matt Kloskowski and +Scott Kelby personal friends despite our friendships forming through more business-ey channels.

The other day, Canon Explorer of Light, Ken Sklute, came by the office and we were heading out to dinner. Now, I’ve been a long time admirer of Ken’s work, specifically his time-lapse and Infrared compilations. I mentioned that there is a pretty cool view of the city and Mt Hood (on a clear day) from the balcony of OHSU. His eyes lit up and he asked if I could take him there. How could I not oblige?

I originally planned to shoot with Ken and my good bud, +Jeffrey Yen, but it never happened due to a long day at the office. Still, Ken was resolute and we managed to dart out to the OHSU balcony for a quick 20 minute shoot before returning back to the office for more work. It was a looooong day.

In the end, as I was driving home, I reflected on how lucky I am. I enjoy to be retrospective, even if it’s just looking back a day or two. I think it’s healthy to take stock of all the good things we have in life, especially when the world appears to be so chaotic.

I don’t share this for any boastful reason. I share it because I think it’s so important to simply appreciate what you have in your life. It’s easy to see all of the amazing work and adventures that everyone shares here on G+. It’s easy to fall into a trap of beating yourself up over not being able to get that shot or visit this place. But what it boils down to is, what do you end up doing with the things that you have in your control?

What I try to remind myself is that things can always be better…. but you can be damn sure that they can be a lot worse, too. Ride the highs, tough out the lows, and do what you can to be a good person. Other than that, don’t forget to pay your taxes. :)

Life is nice, no?

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (111 photos)

Google+: Reshared 2 times

1. Ron Clifford January 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm - Reply

Great perspective on being grateful! I am sure a fotunate guy too. And especially since meeting so many incredible and creative people here!

2. Nicole S. Young January 12, 2012 at 12:59 pm - Reply

LOVE this photo … so gorgeous. There's a "mountain" theme this week with you +Jacob Lucas. :)

3. Eric Leslie January 12, 2012 at 1:01 pm - Reply

I love your very positive outlook because it's human nature to focus on what you don't have. We get that next thing and instantly want more. I applaud you for your contentment recognition of how much you do have.

4. Pam Chalkley January 12, 2012 at 1:03 pm - Reply

OMG, Ken was one of my favorites at After Dark last year! He is so awesome in so many ways!

Wonderful shot! Wow! Thanks for sharing.

5. Stuart Williams January 12, 2012 at 1:14 pm - Reply

Fantastic Hood photo and tones are GREAT.
    The story reminds me to appreciate all that is around.

6. Matt Kloskowski January 12, 2012 at 1:24 pm - Reply

Great story +Brian Matiash. Ken's an awesome guy. I've always liked his work as well. As for being friends with you… Eh… not so much ;-)
    LOL! Hope all is well buddy. Get out here to see us soon!

7. onnie hull January 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm - Reply

the shot certainly brings home the appreciation of the beauty of our/your surroundings … those moments are lovely to experience and i love the one your just shared with us … i have made some awesome connections here as well and always get a kick out of interacting and sharing with them … and i get a huge kick out of occasionally getting comments from those folks who i admire and are inspired by … enjoy today!!

8. Michael Muraz January 12, 2012 at 1:33 pm - Reply

Very nice perspective on life! (and great shot too!)

9. Nate Parker January 12, 2012 at 1:46 pm - Reply

nicely put-

10. Damian Vines January 12, 2012 at 1:47 pm - Reply

Love Portland! South Waterfront looks great here. I've always wanted to get a shot similar to this, foregrounding the cable car somehow. We are damn lucky, all of us!

11. Brian Matiash January 12, 2012 at 2:21 pm - Reply

+Matt Kloskowski Ahhh, yeah – my bad. I typo'd when I entered your name and was too lazy to edit and correct it. :)

I'm talking with Kraft about getting out there stat.

12. Kent Cabreira January 12, 2012 at 3:23 pm - Reply

Great sentiments, Brian! Love the humbleness of your attitude and the honesty of post.

Too many pros in the industry demand you think like them, and are too arrogant for my liking. Fortunately for me, there is an off button in social media.

13. Pam Chalkley January 12, 2012 at 3:38 pm - Reply

+Kent Cabreira I can tell you firsthand, Ken Sklute is definitely not arrogant. We did a nighttime shoot on the Strip, and we had a tiny group because no one would brave the weather (wimps). He was SO down-to-earth, very personable, hands-on … and we stayed out WAY longer than we were supposed to because we were having fun!

14. Damian Vines January 12, 2012 at 4:24 pm - Reply

I can't seem to find Ken Sklute on any of the social networks. I gather he chooses not to participate :-) He does have a nice site and blog though. Really amazing work, glad you brought him to our (my) attention.

15. Brian Matiash January 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm - Reply

+Damian Vines He is on Facebook but not really active on any other networks. I'm trying to bring him over here :)

16. Nathan Smith January 12, 2012 at 7:41 pm - Reply

It's a beautiful view up there. Have had to take my son to OHSU a few times recently and every time i'm kicking my self for not bringing my camera. Thankfully I always have my iPhone.

17. pete collins January 13, 2012 at 5:13 am - Reply

Glad we are not friends… Even though I am you love child :P

18. Kelly-Shane Fuller January 13, 2012 at 2:37 pm - Reply

Wow, thats a great view. I had no idea there WAS a balcony up at OHSU!

19. Brian Matiash January 13, 2012 at 3:45 pm - Reply

+pete collins some friends are just too embarrassing to admit to having. :)

Miss ya, Stinky Pete!

20. pete collins January 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm - Reply

Bite me!

21. Damien Jemison January 13, 2012 at 9:24 pm - Reply

ah the love, you can smell it in the air.

22. Bobby Drake January 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm - Reply

the picture is amazing..really cool..

23. Denise Ho January 15, 2012 at 10:48 pm - Reply