On Embracing Fickle Weather

By | 2011-12-13T11:50:58+00:00 Dec 13th, 2011|

This past Sunday, I had the pleasure of heading up to the top of the Seattle Space Needle for the first time. I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of the accommodations and general attitude towards photographers. Coming from the Northeast, I’ve unfortunately experienced a consistent amount of apathy towards photographers, especially those who use tripods. Fortunately, the staff at the Space Needle couldn’t be friendlier and the layout of the outdoor panoramic walk had plenty of little ledges to prop my tripod on, allowing me to get the brackets needed for this 45-exposure HDR pano of the Seattle skyline.

But back to the weather. I’ve been warned many, many times about the fickle weather that I would be experiencing as I was planning my move to the Pacific Northwest. Lots of spitting rain one minute, beautiful sunshine the next, and then capped off with some harder rain. It could be enough to break even the strongest-willed photographers out there.

But there is a virtue to just embracing the chaos of Mother Nature. Sure, you may get droplets on the front element of your lens and the quality of light may be totally erratic. Just remember – there is so much goodness in that constant shift. Over the course of the hour or so that we were up there, I saw such drastic changes in every environmental variable and each shift offered a whole new shot and a whole new perspective. There is nothing that a good micro fiber cloth and a rain cover can’t solve for shooting in inclement weather.

So if it’s raining, embrace it. Don’t shy away. Just get out there and get the shot.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (86 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="47.62047" lon="-122.34952" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

Google+: Reshared 1 times

1. Todd Green December 13, 2011 at 11:37 am - Reply

You are a born leader, +Brian Matiash. I want to run out and shoot THIS MINUTE! Er… after I write my paper which is due in a couple hours ;-)

2. Brian Matiash December 13, 2011 at 11:39 am - Reply

+Todd Green Cheers, Todd. Very kind. Hope you get your paper in the can asap so you can shoot away!

3. Thorsten Scheuermann December 13, 2011 at 11:40 am - Reply

+Brian Matiash, this is a fantastic shot. I love the menacing clouds.

4. Shane Srogi December 13, 2011 at 11:40 am - Reply

Very cool Brian. I love the crisp building and the turbulent sky. You know you are a North-Westerner when you embrace the rain!

5. Murray Parker December 13, 2011 at 11:41 am - Reply

Very nice. +Brian Matiash

6. Magnus Fohlman December 13, 2011 at 11:41 am - Reply

While this makes Todd wanna go shoot, it makes me wanna move to the US even more than I do already :)

7. Michael Riffle December 13, 2011 at 11:44 am - Reply

Tremendous, love the drama, sharpness, and contrast of colors and shapes between the sky and city.

8. Brent Fishman December 13, 2011 at 11:47 am - Reply

I actually tried to shot in the rain yesterday… When I finally got out side there wasn't any more :( haha.

But it can't hurt to try new things :) I keep trying to do it so I'm not just taking pictures of Sunsets any more but many and seeing where things go.

9. Bob Simmerman December 13, 2011 at 11:52 am - Reply

Amazing, great image!!

10. Scott Wyden Kivowitz December 13, 2011 at 11:55 am - Reply

The result of dealing with weather is stunning dude!

11. Jico Gallana December 13, 2011 at 11:59 am - Reply

Looks like the calm before the storm. Nice.

12. Shanti Gilbert. December 13, 2011 at 12:02 pm - Reply

I love the space needle view! I miss Seattle :-( great shot +Brian Matiash

13. Dennis Rivera December 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm - Reply

Great post and wonderful image. In my first year up here, I bundled up all the time and stayed inside during the winter. Now, I love the weather -how it changes from day to day, but also the wonderful Spring that comes from it.

14. Kevin Reed December 13, 2011 at 12:12 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash – The weather here is so changable, in fact, that it's possible to look out the front of a building and the back and swear you're seeing different weather altogether – sunny one side, raining the other, for example!

15. Cathy Rudd December 13, 2011 at 12:21 pm - Reply

I had to conquer my fear of heights to go up the Space Needle almost 2 years ago, closed my eyes all the way up and down in the elevator. But it is the best place to see Seattle when you get to the top. I am always amazed at how rapidly the weather changes there too. It was sunny and clear when we got to the top and rain had rolled in before we left.

16. Thomas Vaclavek December 13, 2011 at 12:26 pm - Reply

It's great photograph for sure, and does the changing weather justice. It's funny because on Sunday we went out for a lunch and over the course of our lunch (it did take 4 hours to be fair) the weather went from full sun with little to no clouds, to thunder and lightning, and eventually settled on overcast with hints of sun peaking through. We got to see the whole weather show while sitting across from the Sydney Opera House sipping on wine. It was a great day.

17. Marc Edwards December 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm - Reply

I love storm shots.. sort of my specialty!

18. andy gimino December 13, 2011 at 2:05 pm - Reply

Wow…Fantastic pano Brian! I too am embracing what mother nature is throwing at me here in Vermont! Zero snow makes finding interesting compositions difficult so far but I still am going out shooting three days a week regardless!

19. Nitin Kansal December 13, 2011 at 6:44 pm - Reply

Love the crisp building and dramatic clouds +Brian Matiash

20. Ellen December 13, 2011 at 10:25 pm - Reply

This is one fabulous image!

I don’t know if you know but this has been one very dry stretch of weather for Nov. and early Dec.

21. Adam Allegro December 14, 2011 at 5:01 am - Reply

Brian, that is a stunning shot. I continue to feel sorry for people who hold back photographers from using the tools we need to create beauty. Itis a shame. I am glad you got this though. Looks amazing, and I can tell you put some time in to it. Well done.