On Waiting For The Right Shot

By |2011-12-09T10:26:16+00:00Dec 9th, 2011|

It’s a cruel joke that patience would be one the most important facets of photography while also being one of those things that I have barely any of. The act of waiting is like any other game of chance – sometimes you will be rewarded for the gamble and other times you’re left with the inside of your pockets hanging out.

In this shot here, Seattle’s moody weather cheated me out of a sunset but did offer up some beautiful shades of blue and grey in the sky. The problem was that I wasn’t 100% sure when that fleeting point would occur when light starts shifting from that gorgeousness to the flatness of darkness. It’s like throwing chopped garlic into hot oil – wait 1 second too long and it starts to smoke and burn.

Thankfully, I think I fired the shots for this tone-mapped HDR scene at the right time. I also masked in some of the moving traffic from one of the brackets. Not bad for five images from the Fuji #X100.

Now if only I can get that time machine to be built small enough to fit in my camera bag. :)

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (85 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="47.62047" lon="-122.34952" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

1. Dennis Hoffbuhr December 9, 2011 at 10:03 am - Reply

Very nice Brian

2. Andreas Kaspar December 9, 2011 at 10:10 am - Reply

Great shot.

3. Graham December 9, 2011 at 10:30 am - Reply

Good luck with the time machine. Awesome job with the photo and thanks for sharing!

4. Richard December 9, 2011 at 10:34 am - Reply

So true. When I’m in that situation, I usually end up with way too many shots because I fire em off all the time, just in case. You got a great sky there. Well done!

5. Chris Lazzery December 9, 2011 at 10:39 am - Reply

This rules. Rad detail. The needles pops off the dark sky nicely. Always a fan of negative space, too.

6. Justin Van Leeuwen December 9, 2011 at 11:33 am - Reply

I miss you on Twitter.

7. Mark Gvazdinskas December 9, 2011 at 12:02 pm - Reply

Excellent shot, Brian! Love the processing.

8. Ron December 9, 2011 at 2:18 pm - Reply

Wow, great sky, deep colours. Thanks for waiting. :-)

9. Sherry Viray December 9, 2011 at 2:38 pm - Reply

Nice capture of the actual Seattle.

10. Robert Martinez December 9, 2011 at 2:47 pm - Reply

Cool shot! +Brian Matiash what software are you using for HDR? My favorite is Photomatix Pro but also been trying out HDR efex pro.

11. Justin Van Leeuwen December 9, 2011 at 3:24 pm - Reply

I can't wait to smoke and burn with you sometime!

12. Viktor Pankraz December 9, 2011 at 4:34 pm - Reply

Great shot +Brian Matiash! Even without patience :)

13. Joel Swerdlow December 9, 2011 at 8:19 pm - Reply

patience…???….what is that..??? is it waiting 2 years to get photos of a local pond to make an all 4 seasons series of the pond…. taking multiple shots and comparing the shots with the baseline photo so that they all line up…. if that is what it is….then i have it…. i will post the shots shortly… thanks Brian…

14. icedgurl December 11, 2011 at 6:58 am - Reply

trekking your amazing photos!!! thanks for sharing, inspiring people and keep posting!

cheers!
    ..TREK..

15. Rich Williams December 13, 2011 at 5:49 am - Reply

Way to rock that Fuji, Brian! Great shot of the needle. And, like, Laz, I’m also a fan of the negative space here.

16. Brett Engle December 14, 2011 at 11:31 pm - Reply

Amazing shot. Now what would HDR photography be without moody weather!