On Returning to Normalcy

By | 2011-12-04T12:15:45+00:00 Dec 4th, 2011|

The title is both figurative and literal as far as this post is concerned.

I literally just got all of the missing cables and components needed to turn my Mac Pro back on. Thankfully, my Drobo is intact and with it, my entire photo library is back online. It feels so freaking good to sit down, browse the image library, and let the creative juices start to flow. It has been longer than I care to think about.

It also feels like I haven’t worked on my favorite type of imaging in a very long time, so I have a sense of normalcy by returning to a deliciously tone-mapped UrbEx image. It seemed like just the remedy. I took this shot a few months back with two of my favorite people, +Steve Beal and +Chris Robins. Steve got us access to this abandoned school where we had totally free reign to explore. It was a very prolific day for us shooters.

I titled this post, “Come To Teacher”. I am not sure why, but I am most comfortable in these types of scenes. I love trying to find art in the abandoned, beauty in the derelict. Maybe it’s the raw juxtaposition or the fact that these types of scenes lend themselves naturally for tone-mapping and exposure blending.

Regardless, I finally feel like I am able to get settled. My apartment is still very much a war zone but it is calming to know that amidst the chaos, I can sit down and escape in my images.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (84 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="42.16504" lon="-73.51773" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

1. Dave Krugman December 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm - Reply

Great processing… would you share some of your favorite techniques with OnOne sometime? I bought the program but haven't gotten too deep into it yet. Seems very powerful if you know the right stuff. Love the shot.

2. Nicole S. Young December 4, 2011 at 12:13 pm - Reply

+Dave Krugman Brian does a lot of onOne tutorials over on their blog: http://www.ononesoftware.com/blog/

3. Dave Krugman December 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Oh sweeet thank you +Nicole S. Young for the pointer…

4. Craig Pifer December 4, 2011 at 12:15 pm - Reply

Wonderful +Brian Matiash , but normalcy is not what you're looking for in Portland, haven't you seen that you're supposed to "Keep Portland Weird"?

5. Jim Denham December 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash Your selective focus and processing on this image is spot on Brian! So glad to see you get back into the groove – it has missed you!

6. Bob Lussier December 4, 2011 at 1:58 pm - Reply

Love this, Brian!

7. Bob Lussier December 4, 2011 at 2:15 pm - Reply

oh … and congrats on getting up and running again!

8. Lynn Wiezycki December 4, 2011 at 2:23 pm - Reply

I feel that way everyday!

9. Shelly Gunderson December 4, 2011 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Glad you are able to get back to normal! Your move looks like it was rather traumatic wit the items you lost. I may have missed posts, are they gone for good? Hope not, looked like important stuff.

10. Robert McMillan December 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Welcolm back.

11. L Covington December 4, 2011 at 3:57 pm - Reply

Glad "normal" is settling back in, whatever that is. Nice image, Brian. You have a gift for these.

12. Steve Beal December 4, 2011 at 5:46 pm - Reply

I love the symmetry and focus, it was a special day man, can't wait for the next one! Glad to hear you're up and running!!!

13. Richard December 4, 2011 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Nice to see you posting some stuff here, Brian. Hope to see more on a regular basis.

14. Luis December 4, 2011 at 10:54 pm - Reply

Great to see that you’re back at processing this type of scenes Brian! This one is a winner, love the details brought out by the HDR process and the shallow DoF.

15. Peter Talke December 5, 2011 at 4:58 am - Reply

Brian, super work!!! Please add my new page +Talke Photography to your circles!! Thanks!! Pete

16. Chuck Mitchell December 5, 2011 at 9:15 am - Reply

I’m glad to hear that things are getting back to normal for you! Great shot!!!

17. Chris Robins December 5, 2011 at 9:30 am - Reply

welcome back handsome! good to see +Brian Matiash rockin' old-school. sick shot, i need to post some of my images of what was another epic day of shooting with you and +Steve Beal .

18. Jacob Lucas December 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm - Reply

welcome back, brother.

19. Douglas Sandquist December 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm - Reply

This is very nice!

20. Jose Vazquez December 5, 2011 at 1:11 pm - Reply

Sweet shot! Congrats in finally getting settled in.

21. Christopher Harnish December 5, 2011 at 2:52 pm - Reply

DOF is cool. Is that Photosuite or camera?

22. Claire Grigaut December 6, 2011 at 12:40 am - Reply

Awesome shot and processing.

23. Javier Esvall December 6, 2011 at 9:36 am - Reply

Congratulations, +Brian Matiash on your chosen photo in photoextract

24. Mark Gvazdinskas December 6, 2011 at 1:05 pm - Reply

TOP NOTCH processing!! This is why you're the urbex master, my man!

25. Neil Kremer December 7, 2011 at 11:07 am - Reply