On Working With What You’ve Got

By | 2011-11-17T12:47:44+00:00 Nov 17th, 2011|

So, posts have been scarce from my end over the past few weeks. My move to Portland was successful in so far as I made it safely and have an apartment with some Ikea furniture in it. However, the rest of my possessions, including about 97% of my clothing, are being held hostage on a Mayflower truck that is already operating almost a week beyond their delivery window. So be it. Not much I can do at this point but wait.

Or is there?

I’m in a brand new location, working in an office filled with creatives, and I have my camera. So what should really be stopping me? Not much. I have been shooting – not in the quantity that I want, but I am shooting. Much like any craft – photography requires muscle memory in terms of flexing your eye and your mind. Even if you get out for 20 minutes, it’ll serve you better than spending 20 minutes couch or web surfing.

I took this shot over the weekend – these particular elements seem to be something that I had better get used to living here in PDX. I took it while walking a few blocks to the hardware store. My #X100 goes with me everywhere and while it may not even make it out of the bag at times, it is still locked and loaded. I processed the image a few minutes ago on my iPad. It has its quirks but it also has some charm to it.

I’m excited to get back into the swing of things, even if it is a bit disjointed until I have my production rig set up. I have some sweet pano brackets that I took along the Gorge the other weekend and I am dying to get them loaded on my Mac Pro to process and share. It may not happen today or tomorrow or even next week, but it shouldn’t preclude you or me from working with what you’ve got. The shots won’t take themselves.

I’ve written it before and it always, always holds true:

Never. Stop. Shooting.

#on1education

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (83 photos)

1. Andreas Kaspar November 17, 2011 at 12:44 pm - Reply

Great shot.

2. Brian Matiash November 17, 2011 at 9:49 am - Reply

+Robert Greenwalt Ain't that the truth!

3. Steve Beal November 17, 2011 at 9:58 am - Reply

Dude, love it, love when you post, hope you get settled soon!

4. Laurel Johnson November 17, 2011 at 10:55 am - Reply

Lovely shot the dark red and water droplets are wonderful.

5. Dave November 17, 2011 at 11:36 am - Reply

Nice little pic there, sums autumn up nicely in one little package. Hope your stuff arrives soon. Good luck in your new location. :-)

6. Craig Pifer November 17, 2011 at 1:10 pm - Reply

Hope the truck gets there soon, there's enough naked people walking around Portland as it is anyway.

7. Robert Greenwalt November 17, 2011 at 5:45 pm - Reply

Think of how much you'll appreciate your things when they show up!

8. dene' miles November 17, 2011 at 3:58 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear your belongings are taking their own sweet time. Love the details in this image. The water droplets are an excellent touch. I was going to head down to the gorge this weekend but may not due to the weather. Glad you're settling into your new home :)

9. Ann Nagle November 17, 2011 at 4:55 pm - Reply

Thanks for the pearl of wisdom. And the picture is absolutely elegant!

10. Don Horneman November 17, 2011 at 5:50 pm - Reply

Welcome back. You'll love the west coast. Beautiful all the way from San Diego to Seattle. Looking forward to your photos…

11. Paul R. Giunta November 17, 2011 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Love the tones and detail!

12. Rob Mcilroy November 17, 2011 at 6:04 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash – I completely agree. I only have a point and shoot camera. I may not take great pictures but that is because of me needing to learn more and not because I have a bad camera. Glad you made it safely. I bet you can't wait to get that stuff back.

13. Etienne Calame November 17, 2011 at 6:35 pm - Reply

Wish you get all things back on track soon

14. Sandra Parlow November 17, 2011 at 7:12 pm - Reply

Sorry to hear you are without all your "stuff" but I'm glad to hear you are making the best of it Brian! A lovely shot….

15. Voyage Cooper November 17, 2011 at 7:57 pm - Reply

Very nice!!! Thanks for sharing ?? ? ??

16. Larry Lato November 18, 2011 at 4:25 am - Reply

Brian, I first saw you featured about 18 mos. ago in either Pop Photo or Shutterbug, you were one of the people the early on inspired me to get into HDR. Good luck on the new arrangement. Thanks and great work!! Larry

17. Jack Larson November 18, 2011 at 6:43 am - Reply

Welcome to Paradise!

18. Mary Wardell November 18, 2011 at 9:13 am - Reply

Welcome to Portland!

19. Dianne Godwin November 20, 2011 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Great post and reminder. Love the line about 20 minutes spent shooting is better than 20 minutes web surfing. Terrific perspective. The leaf shot is beautiful. Of course, anytime there are water droplets on leaves, it just begs to be photographed. Nicely done.

20. Toad Hollow Photography November 21, 2011 at 2:29 pm - Reply

I really enjoyed this, found it to be utterly profound and inspiring. Great stuff here, Brian, I tip my hat!

21. Chris Maskell November 23, 2011 at 10:31 am - Reply

Sums up the season perfectly, and totally agree with the “use what you have” vibe. The one thing we have as photographers is our eyes and creative vision (ok that’s 2 things)

22. Chris Robins November 23, 2011 at 8:41 pm - Reply

welcome to portland kid. all the best. email me the new digits, address, etc…

cool image…i think it aptly and accurately sums up fall, and maybe a few other seasons, in portland.

never. stop. shooting. peace my brother.

23. Iguanarick December 15, 2011 at 2:28 am - Reply