On pre-visualization and storyboarding in your mind

By |2011-11-01T18:42:38+00:00Nov 1st, 2011|

Last week, I had the pleasure of returning to my home city of New York with my onOne Software colleagues. We were attending Photo Plus and the vibe was pretty crazy because we had officially started shipping our new Perfect Photo Suite 6 line.

On Friday night, +RC Concepcion +Andrey Tochilin and I put together a photowalk that would take us from the USS Intrepid on the west side of Manhattan into the heart of Times Square. RC rocked it as the MC for the event and it was great to see the large turnout.

I was joined by +Amy Chan, onOne’s Director of Product Marketing, who wanted to see what this photowalk malarky was all about. Amy is a great gal and was an even greater sport when I asked her to pose against this wall. As soon as I saw this ATM and corrugated metal wall, a story started forming in my head. I had ideas of what I wanted to appear in my shot and how I wanted it framed. I knew the exact emotion that I was trying to evoke.

I positioned Amy leaning back with her shoulders squared and looked towards the bright lights of the ATM and big city. The ATM light feathered her exactly the way I wanted and I made the necessary adjustments to how it wrapped on her face by asking her to adjust her tilt. I also loved the specular highlights in the background as they give the viewer’s eye some trajectory to go through the frame. I was able to accentuate this by applying a slight dutch angle to my camera (Fuji #X100).

Part of pre-visualization is storyboarding – the visual narrative. How do you want to tell your story? And a large part of it has to do with how you process the shot. I knew the exact look I wanted and I knew how to achieve it using Perfect Layers (to blend the ATM exposure with the Amy exposure), Perfect Effects (to stylize), and FocalPoint (to simulate a shallow depth of field).

By storyboarding and pre-visualizing, I was able to walk away with a shot that I am truly happy with and that resonates with the emotion I was going for within myself when I was standing here.

#on1education

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (83 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="40.763607" lon="-73.997136" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

1. Jacob Lucas November 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm - Reply

Great visualisation! I'm curious… what is the story you wanted to tell?

2. Ivan Boden November 1, 2011 at 7:42 pm - Reply

Well done Brian! Not sure you remember me but I was on that photowalk. It was great fun that night.

3. Gamal Istiyanto November 1, 2011 at 9:14 pm - Reply

the atmosphere is great, gotta noir feeling to it. love it

4. Ivan Boden November 1, 2011 at 10:38 pm - Reply

+Brian Matiash I set up a Flickr group for those on our PPE photowalk group to share their photos. So far, only 7 members. Ugh! Can you help spread the word with the attendees and share this link?: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ppe_photowalk/pool/with/6293067292/

5. Tracy Comer November 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm - Reply

One could entertain several stories with this shot. I love the mood of this photo.

6. Mark Blundell November 1, 2011 at 11:21 pm - Reply

nice shot – looks somewhat Bladerunner. very good.

7. Chris Lazzery November 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Whoa. This is awesome, dude. Terrific atmosphere. I'm not kidding when I say I think this is one of the coolest shots you have posted in a while.

8. Mark Hooper November 1, 2011 at 11:23 pm - Reply

Very nice finished product; I see a modern pulp/noir story here.

9. Amber Olsen November 2, 2011 at 12:00 am - Reply

The composition and colours tell such a good story. This could go in so many directions, all of them great!

10. Michael Riffle November 2, 2011 at 12:17 am - Reply

Agree with all the comments, this is a terrific shot. The neon ATM sign really makes it for me.

11. Carl Stovell November 2, 2011 at 7:30 am - Reply

Really atmospheric shot.

12. Edith levy November 2, 2011 at 1:53 pm - Reply

Great post Brian and excellent shot.

13. A.Barlow November 2, 2011 at 3:27 pm - Reply

Shot reminds me of a PI waiting on a call :)

Very solid write up.

14. andy gimino November 9, 2011 at 5:30 pm - Reply

Fantastic post and i loved this image brian! Really inspiring post today my friend!

15. Chris Maskell November 15, 2011 at 3:27 am - Reply

Love it Brian, feels very reminiscent of old gangster films but a modern take.
    Love the posing, lighting and processing.
    Interesting in the storyboarding, thinking about it I guess I pre visualize how I want a finished image to look, it may not always end up that way as I may notice something in processing but often the spirit and theme of the idea does.