On Going Off Axis

By | 2011-10-30T14:07:42+00:00 Oct 30th, 2011|

I’m notorious for shooting my scenes head-on. It’s something that I always notice about myself. It’s a natural inclination for me to shoot my subject while standing directly in front of it and facing it straight. I think it has a lot to do with my affinity for symmetry… even with contrasting elements (think of the Yin and Yang symbol).

While shooting head-on is a wonderful way for me to feed this affinity, it can also be somewhat stifling in terms of missing certain opportunities to capture unique angles and details that would otherwise go unseen.

This shot is a really nice example. I nabbed it while shooting around Nelson, NV with +Jacob Lucas in early September. I was originally shooting low and tight, but head on. It wasn’t until after I walked along the side of the grill that I noticed its wonderful shape. I was able to play off of it by repositioning my vantage point and I feel that I walked away with a stronger shot because of it.

So, when you’re out shooting, take a few minutes to scout your scene. Experiment and have fun with the creative opportunities that you’re afforded!

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (81 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="35.709766" lon="-114.803602" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

1. Kellianne Hutchinson October 30, 2011 at 6:01 pm - Reply

Excellent advice! It definitely worked here.

2. Lizzie Keitel October 30, 2011 at 6:02 pm - Reply

this is my favorite subject to photograph. very beautiful to me!

3. Fabrizio Fenoglio October 30, 2011 at 6:05 pm - Reply

Great detail!

4. Daniel Alonso October 30, 2011 at 6:10 pm - Reply

Post edit was made in lightroom? What filters did you use here?

5. dawn m. armfield October 30, 2011 at 6:16 pm - Reply

Good point. I tend to go for symmetry, too, and am trying to get out of that perspective. Maybe I'll make that a task that I do in the next few weeks of shooting.

6. Andreas Kaspar October 30, 2011 at 6:17 pm - Reply

Amazing shot.

7. Patricia A. Holmes October 30, 2011 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Some really good stuff. I especially like the Seattle pics. (My home.)

8. Brian Matiash October 30, 2011 at 6:22 pm - Reply

+Daniel Alonso The image was sent from LR to Perfect Photo Suite 6. Editing was done exclusively in Perfect Effects 3 and FocalPoint 2. LR just managed the image.

Thanks everyone!

9. Karin Nelson October 30, 2011 at 6:26 pm - Reply

I'm usually not a big fan of "car" pictures, but this one is very special. Everything fits, angle, colours and finish.

10. Scott Wyden Kivowitz October 30, 2011 at 6:28 pm - Reply

Nicely said dude. I tend to shoot head on as well. I often regret not moving around a subject. I've been trying to move a lot more lately.

11. Grant McWilliams October 30, 2011 at 6:58 pm - Reply

I think angles create motion and interest. After digging through all the photos from one shoot I almost always do a face palm because the best ones were "accidental" at an angle.

12. Lotus Carroll October 30, 2011 at 8:23 pm - Reply

Great points! Always good to go off the normal MO and see what you find. :)

13. Milton Meneses Noriega October 30, 2011 at 8:31 pm - Reply

Excellent photography and very good photographic advice. We can always learn something new.

14. Ron Kroetz October 30, 2011 at 8:37 pm - Reply

Great tip. I'll be thinking about that next time I shoot.

15. Javier Esvall October 30, 2011 at 8:50 pm - Reply

In many cases out of the rules also create great images.

16. Toad Hollow Photography November 2, 2011 at 11:43 am - Reply

What great words of wisdom to wrap around a truly incredible photograph. Awesome work here, Brian.

17. James Howe November 5, 2011 at 10:55 pm - Reply

I'm also guilty of favoring symmetrical shots so it's nice to be reminded that sometimes its good to take a different angle. Really like this shot and the post processing.