On making the most out of being waylaid in a hotel room

By |2011-10-25T10:54:17+00:00Oct 25th, 2011|

I was visiting Portland for business last year and was excited to get out after work with some coworkers to do some shooting. It was my second time to the state and I wanted to get some more time shooting around the city. But, as most Pacific Northwestern folks know, weather can be quite the fickle shrew and we were doused with rain. Normally, I would have at least made it out to get some shots but I had foolishly left my Kata raincover at home in Boston.

So, it was back to the hotel room for me. At first, I felt a bit dejected over having plans dashed. But why should that stop me or any of you? The hotel was ornate and had lots of little details to it. My 24-70 has wonderful macro capabilities. What should stop us from shooting wherever we are. Shooting shouldn’t be precluded by having to be outdoors or in ideal situations.

True to form, though, as I was shooting some detail work inside my room, the shrew, Mother Nature, threw a bone and offered up this absolutely spectacular sunset. I couldn’t believe how the sun looked like it was shooting upward like an invisible rocket.

I quickly slapped on my 70-200, got the tripod out, and fired away.

Sometimes, it’s more about keeping an open mind than an open eye.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (80 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="45.39340" lon="-122.75117" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

1. Jennifer Bailey October 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm - Reply

oh my god!! So gorgeous!

2. Jaak Ennuste October 25, 2011 at 2:10 pm - Reply

Grat story, inspiring!

3. Jon Rose October 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm - Reply

An open mind; excellent way of putting it.

4. Moni Moni October 25, 2011 at 2:15 pm - Reply

beautiful! I think they call that a Solar Pillar

5. Val Lord October 25, 2011 at 2:18 pm - Reply

That's what keeps us all here in the NW, the opportunity for surprise and epic sunsets.

6. Abhijeet Vardhan October 25, 2011 at 2:24 pm - Reply

Wonderful layers of colours!

7. Aaron Campbell October 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm - Reply

Stunning color and silhouettes, +Brian Matiash!

8. Lou Horton October 25, 2011 at 3:47 pm - Reply

Surprises and reprieves are life's little gems. What an astonishing burst of light, too.

9. Don Horneman October 25, 2011 at 3:53 pm - Reply

They say if a cloud is coming in Oregon there is rain under it.

10. Edith levy October 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm - Reply

Love it when nature throws little gems our way. Beautiful.

11. Kelly Weber October 25, 2011 at 6:13 pm - Reply

We lived in Battle Ground, WA there was never a battle there by the way, It was so pretty but the rain could get you down, however it rains less in Portland, you will love the people there . I miss it sometimes , we live in Tucson now, it is boring here, no one ever comes here for anything

12. Kelly Weber October 25, 2011 at 6:15 pm - Reply

by the way they call Coca Cola – pop , and a sucker hole is a small cloud break where you think just maybe you will see the sun even for a second

13. andy gimino October 25, 2011 at 9:05 pm - Reply

Cool imahe brian! I agree, i always keep an open mind about shooting possibilities no matter what the weather!

14. A.Barlow October 27, 2011 at 11:56 am - Reply

That’s really cool. Gotta make the best of any situation man. Nice one :)

15. Javier Esvall October 29, 2011 at 11:25 am - Reply