On Collaboration Amongst Photographers

By |2011-10-22T11:43:05+00:00Oct 22nd, 2011|

A few weeks ago, I had the distinct pleasure to go shooting around Seattle with my mate, +Jacob Lucas, and a photographer whom I greatly admire, +David Nightingale. The weather was par for the course – light rain but with a gorgeous sky.

Jacob took us to a local park with a splendid overlook of the Seattle skyline. And it was there that we three took up arms and shot away. At first, we were relatively tightly formed – getting our ‘gimme’ shots out of the way.

After some time, we spread out. Towards the end, we started exchanging some brilliant collaboration. David was sharing some ideas on how to frame this shot without getting these three nasty flood lights in the foreground. We watched each other apply out own sense of creativity and we fed from it.

It was healthy and wonderful and should be something that we, as social photographers, should embrace and foster.

Let’s just help ourselves and each other make the best and most beautiful images that we can.

In album Pic Picks Over The Years (79 photos)

[map w="745" h="130" lat="47.629436" lon="-122.359822" marker="yes" z="18" maptype="SATELLITE" 680 /]

1. Dave Wilson October 22, 2011 at 3:28 pm - Reply

Great shot, Brian. Seattle is right at the top of my “cities whose skylines I need to add to my panorama collection” list. I’m delighted that you had a chance to shoot with Dave N too and I bet you had rather better weather than we did during our excursions in Austin back in February!

2. Patricia Davidson October 22, 2011 at 3:31 pm - Reply

Fantastic night shot of the city! Sounds like a good time out with friends.

3. Brian Spencer October 22, 2011 at 3:34 pm - Reply

Looks great!

4. Cliff Baise October 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm - Reply

Love hearing about trips like this. Gorgeous photo!

5. James Brandon October 22, 2011 at 3:35 pm - Reply

"At first we were all relatively tightly formed." Yeah that sounds about right for a +Brian Matiash outing ;-)

6. Brian Matiash October 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm - Reply

+James Brandon Look, I understand that you'd want in on that tightly formed action. Passive aggressiveness isn't necessary. :)

7. James Brandon October 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply

Oh, in a heartbeat :-)

8. Brian Matiash October 22, 2011 at 3:38 pm - Reply

+James Brandon Hugz!

9. Chuck Uebele October 22, 2011 at 4:17 pm - Reply

Good shot. It is good to have feedback from your peers when out shooting. I used to have a friend, and we would go out all the time together to shoot. We learned a lot from each other, and I miss that now.

10. Natthasit Langkasoot October 22, 2011 at 4:23 pm - Reply

LOl !!! i live in seattle This

11. Todd Burke October 22, 2011 at 5:08 pm - Reply

I love to help my fellow photographers. +Brian Matiash, I've jotted down some other cool places and some sample images imbedded into this Google Map ( http://g.co/maps/puwjb )…I guess that what they are used for. :-) Google sure has allot of cool tools for collaboration. I haven't gotten out much so I was afraid if I didn't jot them down I'd forget where some of the fun places where to shoot.

12. Scott Wyden Kivowitz October 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Sounds awesome dude! Ad beautifully captured

13. Scott Wyden Kivowitz October 22, 2011 at 6:19 pm - Reply

Sounds awesome dude! Ad beautifully captured

14. Sandra Parlow October 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm - Reply

Sounds like an awesome time! I'm hoping to get together with a couple of people I know and do something like this – but we're running out of time – the weather is getting cold already and it's never as much fun when you have frozen fingers and toes! ;) (and when my glasses frost up against the damn view finder!!!)

15. Sandra Parlow October 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm - Reply

16. Sandra Parlow October 22, 2011 at 6:22 pm - Reply

BTW – I forgot to comment of the photo! It's beautiful!!

17. Sandra Parlow October 22, 2011 at 6:22 pm - Reply

BTW – I forgot to comment of the photo! It's beautiful!!

18. Edith Levy October 22, 2011 at 6:54 pm - Reply

Stunning shot Brian.

19. Milton Meneses Noriega October 22, 2011 at 10:17 pm - Reply

Magnificent and varied collection of topics. Congratulations.

20. David Nightingale October 24, 2011 at 8:48 am - Reply

Nicely done.

21. Michael Riffle October 28, 2011 at 7:08 pm - Reply

Gorgeous midnight blue you captured there, +Brian Matiash. Great exposure and comp.