Pieces of Brooklyn

By |2013-12-28T13:32:18+00:00Sep 22nd, 2011|

I bought my Fuji X100 after a long bout of hating it. I was totally set against it. What do I need a $1200 retro camera for?

And then I held one in my hands. Standing in B&H, I knew I had to buy this camera. It just felt right. I borrowed one for a week and was doubly sold. And after a week or two of hunting, I found one.

And, true to form, it was defective. The camera wouldn’t meter at all. It would give me one preview and expose something totally differently. I was ready to toss it against a brick wall. And then a very good friend of mine, who had an ‘in’ with Fuji, put me directly in touch with one of their support engineers who knew of this issue. I sent my camera in and two days later, I had it returned with a brand new lens assembly.

I have been visiting family in Brooklyn this week and I thought it was a perfect opportunity to put the X100 through its paces while spending the early morning hours walking around the Sheepshead Bay and Bay Parkway areas of Brooklyn.

Long story short – this camera is amazing. Metering is spot on, as is focus. I walked away with a series of shots that I am beyond happy to share. And so, here is a gallery of minutia – the pieces of Brooklyn that we all walk by without a second thought.

Please enjoy.

1. Eric Doggett September 22, 2011 at 10:59 pm - Reply

Great shots. I am glad I didn’t check out one in Vegas. I probably would have bought it right there.

Heading to NY in a few weeks, and will probably make a stop at b&h to check it out!

2. Andrea September 22, 2011 at 11:00 pm - Reply

Umm, now I need one of these. Love your shots!

3. Lotus Carroll September 22, 2011 at 11:07 pm - Reply

They are all just great, Brian. That first one really grabs me. All those birds! So great.

4. James Brandon September 22, 2011 at 11:14 pm - Reply

Great set of images Brian. Glad you got your Fuji fixed, hope Kelby didn’t get ahold of that information :-). Cheers brotha

5. Richard September 22, 2011 at 11:22 pm - Reply

Wow.. love the images, Brian. Just excellent and such a variety of angles and processing and they’re all great… :)

6. Jesse Pafundi September 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm - Reply

That first shot is just sick, love how you process those b&w LDRs. Great set.

7. Jacques September 23, 2011 at 12:39 am - Reply

Alfred Hitchcok’s “The Birds” came immediately to mind with that first shot. Love it!! The whole set of photos is pretty dope as well, brotha!

8. Chris Frailey September 23, 2011 at 12:40 am - Reply

Well done Brian. The colors in the flowers is amazing. So vibrant.

9. Jim Denham September 23, 2011 at 9:23 am - Reply

Great set Brian. Looks like a good new tool for your toolbox!

10. Nicolas L September 23, 2011 at 10:12 am - Reply

I like the image set! I think it’s a more interesting way to convey an atmosphere than just one shot at a time. To me a post like this is worth a couple days’ wait!
    Keep up the good work!

11. This post is a perfect example of how a photographer can take what would be otherwise mundane objects, and convey them through his own eyes. Great job Brian. This is the first time I have viewed your blog, but I will be sure to keep coming back!

12. Bob Lussier September 23, 2011 at 12:03 pm - Reply

Great set of images. I think I am going to like this new direction you are going in.

13. Nikola Ovcharski September 24, 2011 at 6:42 am - Reply

Good photos, cheers

14. Justin September 25, 2011 at 5:21 pm - Reply

Awesome series of images Brian. Thanks for sharing them!

15. Mark Blundell September 26, 2011 at 9:10 am - Reply

Really nice set of images. Lovely processing, tones and colours on all of them, certainly good to know that you can go out with something a little better than an iPhone but smaller than the full DSLR kit.

16. Chris DeAngelis September 30, 2011 at 6:56 pm - Reply

Great set Brian! Love the color and texture of these shots! Glad the camera is back to full working order! I know the frustration with that, as I had problems with the focusing on my first camera body and BOTH lenses!

17. Peter Grew October 1, 2011 at 2:28 am - Reply

Great shots Brian! A couple of months back I’d heard some bits and pieces about the x100 and it had caught my attention. But I had no plans to buy one until I read your posts about it and that pushed me over the edge. I’ve had it for a month now and I think it’s an awesome piece that has added another dimension of fun. Thanks Brian!

18. […] taking a long exposure of a waterfall, he was cursing out his Fuji x100 for metering so badly (he had good reason as he explains in his blog) look at his images and you’ll understand why this guy is one of my photo heroes. Brian […]